Thread: Greetings. Designer/Art Director Signing in. :)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Greetings. Designer/Art Director Signing in. :)

Greetings all. I'm just signing in to say hello, to quickly introduce myself, and to thank the hosts of the forum.

I've been working in the computer gaming industry since the mid-1990's, first as a reviewer and later as a narrative designer. In recent years I've taken on more responsibility for creative direction and concept art, so I've had to learn a lot more about the art of creating visual game assets.

I've joined this forum in the hopes of learning more about maps and the software and techniques that are used to build them digitally, but also because I hoped I could find some experienced artists who might be willing to make maps, schematics and deck plans for some science fiction role-playing games on a commission basis.

Thanks very much for posting all the wonderful maps. I am sure I will learn a lot.

--A

Welcome to the guild, Arinn! There are a host of tutorials to allow you to learn the craft. I hope you do and take some time to post your work up for us to look at. What is the SF RPG game that you are involved in?

Thank you! The rpg is as yet unannounced, but it is based on the Sword of the Stars universe I created for the strategy market. Over the years many players have expressed interest in a tabletop rpg set in the universe, so I've been working to develop it in my spare time.

I have purchased a bit of map software, but I was intending to use it mainly to plan maps and sketch ideas. I assumed that an accomplished artist would find it much easier to work with my commissions if I could make it very clear what I was looking for.

Awesome! Glad you signed up and said hello.

I'm not sure how great your "sketch ideas" need to be. I would love to post what I was given vs what I produced but I'm concerned that it might not be appreciated by the client. I should remember to ask this for next time.

Welcome again and I look forward to seeing more from you.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I'm not sure how great your "sketch ideas" need to be. I would love to post what I was given vs what I produced but I'm concerned that it might not be appreciated by the client.
    Ha! Perhaps because it would be a bit too funny at the client's expense? Yes it occurred to me that maybe with the software I might be able to do a bit better than "ORKZ HEER" scribbled in the middle of a shapeless blob on a cocktail napkin, but...we'll have to see.

If you do have a specific map request, or a request to hire an illustrator, please post in the Mapmaking Request Forum

There is a sticky post at the top of that forum that provides a good summary of how best to phrase a request, providing the details that will allow a good match to your needs.

There are quite a few folks here who do both individual commissions or who have worked on retainer/contract for larger projects.

Best of luck!

-Rob A>