Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** August / September Lite Challenge: Before and After map ***

Default *** August / September Lite Challenge: Before and After map ***

This was a suggestion from vorropohaiah in the suggestions forum which had some encouragement in the poll.

You need to draw at least two maps, (displayed as a single composite image)* one before an event (or series of events) and one after. Everything else is up to you.

There is plenty of room to tell a story with your entry in this challenge. I kind of suspect that the winning entry may have as much (or more) to do with the story told than technical detail...but we will see!

As always we encourage those who are new to the forum to have a go - you will get lots of good and friendly advice and there's nothing like a time limit to concentrate your mind.

The challenge ends on or about 15th September. Go forth and map, and best of luck to everyone!

Ravs

* e.g. two maps, one next to the other, or one map superimposed on top of the other....or something else as long as there are at least 2 maps in your entry.

Oooooh - and if you can keep the filesize down you can do before/after with an animated gif, like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KozepicCharterDispoSlowFade.gif 
Views:	119 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	47651

Is a PDF an OK format, since before/after can involve a lot of explanation with the graphics?

silly question jbgibson of 666 posts,

which app are you using for your gif? photoshop elements only seems to allow the same display time for each frame... tia

Serif's PhotoPlus lets you specify in milliseconds, per frame. It also does some automated in-betweening, but I just did a couple of differing percent opacity layers and called it a good enough fade. Their full-price latest version is a decent portion of the capability of PhotoShop for a fraction of the price. Really, their free intro version does enough for many folks. I'm using a paid version several back from current and I'm happy.

Obligatory directly on-topic thought ... anybody insane enough to do their before & after (or Sequence of Several) each with a different graphics program?
    Last edited by jbgibson; 08-22-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

I feel embarrassed only seeing this now, seeing I was the one who suggested it :p

not sure if I have enough time for this one but if I do I have a pretty good idea in mind.

quick question (though I have a feeling I know the answer... can we use an existing original map as a base for the before/after? of course the base map is one thats made by myself.

Hi Vorro. You cannot use existing maps as part of the final product, it's all got to be new, although there is a bit of grey (eg. a scribbled pencil line you made before the comp would be fine)- use sensible discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi Vorro. You cannot use existing maps as part of the final product, it's all got to be new, although there is a bit of grey (eg. a scribbled pencil line you made before the comp would be fine)- use sensible discretion.
    as i thought, fair enough. what about basing it on a map that youve already made? basically, all my maps i make are somehow related to a conworld ive created so if i do enter this, itll be based on a particular region of that world in various times in its history. is that also a nono?

thanks for the feedback

yeah that's what i mean. sorry about not being able to explain it properly :p

so, now to see if i can remember how to make gifs in PS...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast