Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimp 2.8.0

Default Gimp 2.8.0

Just curious about who has GIMP 2.8.0 (the newest) running under windows 7 and if it works ok?

I would like to upgrade but am concerned about blowing up my digital workspace. I am currently on version 2.6 and have an Intuos 5 tablet.

Thanks in advance!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I have it on a win7 sytem in 64 bit. While I have not really put the machine through it paces yet, it SEEMS to work fine. At least for my putting around goes. There are a few changes in the way Gimp works but not too much.

Hope that helps a bit
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Well, I installed it on a different hard drive from my 2.6 version however it seems to have gone and collected all my settings and stuff. I guess that's cool...hopefully.

I'll give it a spin. They resorted the locations of the layer settings which is a bit weird.

I have got some big work in front of me so I want to be sure I'm not going to have any strange issues before I'm into something important.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I'm still using the last 2.6 in my "production" system, as I think there are too many issues with windows and 2.8.0. Chief among are reported problems with pressure sensitivity (which is blamed on an old version of GTK and can not get fixed by gimp devs) and excssive sluggishness with colour management turned on. My machine is dual boot, however, and I have had good luck with 2.8.0 on Linux Mint... except I haven't yet set up the buttons on the Wacom tablet, haven't figured out how to get the selector dial to work, and can't get the OLEDs to light up...

I'm waiting for 2.8.2 before I switch...
    m
    -Rob A>

Since I'm new to my tablet I don't really use the buttons yet so that is probably something I can live with for now. I will make sure my 2.6 still works however just in case I have major sluggishness.

And thanks for pitching in some detail RobA. I saw the list of issues so was initially concerned. I really wanted to try the single screen feature as my docks tend to move around in 2.6. Plus, with dual monitors sometimes my color selector pop ups end up way over on the other side....that still seems to be an issue in 2.8 though. :/

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been scared of using 2.8 (although I did download it) I'm so comfortable with 2.6 that I don't want to change. But I also don't use a tablet so I guess I'm of no help
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Same with me jtougas - I finally downloaded 2.8 a few days ago and I really miss 2.6. Can't stand the new pen size tool. Still, once I figure out layer groups it will have been worth it; also I REALLY like the way you can use GIMP on a single window now.

I've been using GIMP 2.8 for several months now. I agree with Jacktannery, the pen size tool is a pain in the a$$. However, the single window view and the layer groups in particular are quite nice. I also like the improved font editing abilities. Overall I'd say I am happy with the 2.8, though there is definitely room for improvement.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I've been using GIMP 2.8 for several months now. I agree with Jacktannery, the pen size tool is a pain in the a$$. However, the single window view and the layer groups in particular are quite nice. I also like the improved font editing abilities. Overall I'd say I am happy with the 2.8, though there is definitely room for improvement.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast