Thread: Map[s] needed for RPG game

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Map[s] needed for RPG game

Commission

Paid: This is for a personal pen & paper campaign setting, so I'm (probably) looking at semi-pro rates, but I'm happy to pay for your time.
    I'm also a very competent web developer (NOT designer!) so would consider exchange of services.

Subject

Initially I'm looking for a quality rendering of the play region of the setting, from this sketch:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gamemap.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	47690

I'd like a long-term relationship as I will also need a full world map (once I've sketched it), and occasional region-level maps. Please bear this in mind when setting rates.

I'd also like to be able to easily make amends, additions, and alternate versions of maps (e.g. DM's map vs Player's map). Ideally you'd supply a layered psd, but I will consider paid updates provided the rate is reasonable.

We'll need to talk about scale as I'm not great at it!

Style

I'm flexible on style, but with a slight preference for styles reflecting hand-drawn maps that could represent a map drawn by a cartographer living in the setting.

Quality & Size

Semi-pro/possibly pro

Very high resolution preferred as I'd like to make an interactive version, and even better a print for my wall. Vector would thus probably by ideal, but you'll know better than me.

Time Constraints

No deadline, but there is a region map (part of the above map) that I could do with inside a month, where possible.

Copyright

The artist will retain copyright of the map - however I'll take a quote for copyright if you'd consider passing it to me.
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Contact Details

I don't have access to the pm system. Please post here or email mr.davec
    That's a google account (hope that works for spam protection!)

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

I'll take a shot at this and knock up an example of my style for you (though given how late it is in the day I've seen this it might be a weekend job). Are you looking for a black and white map, slight colouring or a fully coloured map? As usual it might help if you can give us an example of the type of map/style you like. Also a more accurate dimension of the size you'd like would be ideal, most people here probably don't work in vector format and will instead work at a large scale with printable 300dpi for a high quality. Whilst the line art on the maps is fairly easy to do as a vector, as often as not people will use textured parchment backgrounds and so the size and scale becomes more of a factor when designing.
    Last edited by Cunning Cartographer; 08-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Not sure if my email came through or not, but here's an example of my style for the top portion of your map (albeit I'm pretty flexible if there are specific things you want/don't want).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example - Wilderness.jpg 
Views:	987 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	47710

(Looking at it now though I made the lines on the mountains a little thicker than I'd like, so I'd change that up a little).

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks to all who've responded. Please mark this taken and I'll continue discussions via email.