Thread: [WIP] The Kingdom of Cardighna and its many neighbors

Guild Applicant
    Far far away from most people I fear. :'D

Default [WIP] The Kingdom of Cardighna and its many neighbors

I've been working on this map probably since I decided on creating my own fantasy realm, the great Kingdom of Cardighna and the many nations surrounding it in the south of a big continent.

This map has gone through so many changes in artstyle and terrain already (there was one mostly in the style of ZombieNirvana's infamous tutorial maps, one supposed to look like stone reliefs and the current one, intended to look like an aged print on paper), yet still I'm just not happy with it.

Mostly since the "printed" part just doesn't really show itself and because I am still not completely convinced by using brushes for the different locations. I'm pretty much struggling to combine a rather political map (different nations, borders, ect.) and a topological one while keeping some old feel to it - though atm I am pondering scratching that last point.

Anyways, enough of my blabbering for now, I'd like to read your opinions on this matter. What do you think of this incomplete map and what advise could you give me? :3

The map in question: *click*

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm a sucker for that color scheme/look; I love the aged parchment feel on just about any map, and StarRaven's (I think) brushes always look good. I like that landmass shape too.

Nitpicks small: The font you're using for the cities/towns is hard to read, at least for these two-score-year old eyes!

Nitpicks large: Your rivers are doing some funky and, well, impossible things. You've got multiple outlets for several lakes (unless some of those are borders - hard to tell).

All in all, a great start, though. Looking forward to seeing what else you do with it.

Guild Applicant
    Far far away from most people I fear. :'D

Well, I reworked the map quite a bit after I saw Schwarzkreuz' beautiful "Imperial world map of Arden". I replaced the brushes with self-drawn mountains, woods, ect. and I am pretty content with the results.

In regards to the font I hope that this one's better (though I am not too sure, hehe. :'D). I also changed the rivers a little, tried to limit the inlets and have just one outlet for each lake. They still tend to form somewhat funky deltas, but it can be figured out how the water travels its long way towards the sea.

The updated map: *click*

Very nice. The landmass shape is very compelling. The parchment look is great.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, gorgeous! I like this version much better - have some rep!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Ah yes, nice indeed. The only thing i critic is the continental borders, the still feel a Bit unbalanced, and try a bit Farmer texture on the water or the land to make them more apart.

Hm, curious, i have to disagree with Diamond?!

Ich finde die erste Variante hat mehr charm.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars