Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Test Doodles

Oh, one other thing, on the second and third map there is a fork of the river that runs right over a mountain. It is the first left hand fork on the central river.

It's just a minor issue, but still a little distracting.

Also, I agree with the river issues on the first map. The two forks that are going towards the sea don't look natural. If they were flowing from highlands or something like that, then it would be more natural looking.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Ahem- Excuse me.

A river violation 630-H5 "Unrealistic River" subclass 12B "Forking downstream" was called in to our dispatch.

Malakor - please step away from the map!

What?...Ok. This time we'll let you off with just a warning, but please don't let it happen again

-Rob (A proud member of the river police) A>
    Sorry Malakor, didn't mean to narc on ya! This should get my sentence reduced though...

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi Malakor,

In the first map, the river in the middle of the picture forks the wrong way. Rivers almost always join other rivers but once joined, tend almost always not to split unless there is a manmade reason or the river is close to the coast and becomes a delta.
    Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the tip
    \"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.\"
    - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    Oh, one other thing, on the second and third map there is a fork of the river that runs right over a mountain. It is the first left hand fork on the central river.

It's just a minor issue, but still a little distracting.

Also, I agree with the river issues on the first map. The two forks that are going towards the sea don't look natural. If they were flowing from highlands or something like that, then it would be more natural looking.
    Yeah, I found them that way too when I was finished. What I was shooting for was to indicate that those rivers originated in the mountains and flowed down to join the major river.
    - Charles Bukowski

Definitely like the first one best, though I like the texture of the third. #2 is too much the same color.

I added a new 'style' wip that I'm looking at. I put it on the first post with the others for comparison.
    - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Malakor View Post
    I added a new 'style' wip that I'm looking at. I put it on the first post with the others for comparison.
    I'm a big fan of contour maps, and I think this has some great potential. I'm not a PS user - is there some way you can blend the contours together so that the different elevation steps don't look quite so abrupt?

I'm hoping to find one. I thought they were a bit "harsh" myself. The file is on my machine at the office, so It'll be Tuesday before I get to work on it. I'm spending some time this weekend on trying different methods to soften the contours.
    Thanks
    - Charles Bukowski

Be sure to take a look at dorpond's bluffs video tutorial:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2142

You may find that technique useful, though perhaps time consuming.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer

Unless he changed the first map, the only issue I can see is the lower right corner has a lake that is being fed, but shows no signs of an outlet.

The 'forking downstream' of the river in the middle doesn't really appear to be a big issue, but I would have expected a small lake at an area that has two rivers joining at such an angle. I would have assumed that the main river cuts down through a rise near the coast at either side of it, and the watershed is based on the valleys running from the coast back toward the mountain.

I personally like the second one, I like ones that look like they were drawn by hand on parchment or paper with simple writing tools.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast