Thread: Diorama/3d terrain

Default Diorama/3d terrain

Since i'm not mapping too much these days, i thought i'd share what i'm doing. It's not mapping per say but i think it's related in some way. I'm talking about terrain modeling and using 3d terrain sets to play RPGs.

I've been using Dwarven forge sets for many years now but i never took the time to take photos and videos of my maps and dungeons. Since i'm loving it so much, i said to myself, why not take the time for some photos of these setup and maybe some gamers out there will be interested in seeing them.

Anyway, it's just a thought so if there is no interest in this, i'll take the hint and this thread will have a very short life. Just tell me what you think.

Here's a first one.

http://www.patoumonde.com/caverne-de-lunderdark.html

I don't know how to make links here but follow this adress to my site.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I actually like this kind of stuff, but never got around to buying the pieces. I would like to see more, and a wide shot of the whole scene.

As for the link, when you start a post, above the text box there is a line of icons. Near the right end there is a blue globe (ish) thingy, and THAT is what you use to create links. A pop-up should appear if they are not blocked and paste the URL into it. What appears in the text box will have 2 sets of [xxxxx] with text inside and between them. Just replace the between text with a descriptor and there you go....

Although on a reread, that looks to be as clear as mud :~

Let me know if all that is understandable...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

looks nice, real fancy. not very contributional for me to say so, i'm sort of amazed that such things would sell rather than be made at home, then again, i'm sort of not amazed at the same time

Hello,

I'm sort of halfway between made at home and bought. The shots i've shown are made from a cavern made with dwarven forge kits. They are like legos for grown ups. I also mold and paint my own pieces when the need arise. It's very time consuming so pre made blocs are very handy.

Thanks for the comment.

Pat
    Last edited by Patrakis; 08-28-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

That's pretty sweet! I don't play any games but I've also (very recently) begun experimenting with 3D paper mache terrains... can't really call them maps. They're quite horrible, but it's fun.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Hi guyz,

I'm back with 2 new dioramas on my site. I thought i'd share them here. Please feel free to tell me if it's inapropriate to talk about dioramas on the guild.

http://www.patoumonde.com/den-of-evi...nsion-set.html

http://www.patoumonde.com/elminster-tower.html

Hope you like it.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Seeing as how dioramas are 3d representations of a 2d map (in most cases) I for one have no problem with them being in the Guild

Of the 2 that you show here I prefere the Elminster Tower, which I think is great. You construct the Tower yourself, or that a kit too? It looks too "smooth" and not chunky to be store bought. Either way nicely done

Just a personal preferance here, but I would love to see shots of the whole scene (like you did with the Tower) of these and your other dioramas....makes them more "mappy" Just don't forget to post the close -ups too because they are great to see the details and creat more of the feel for the 3d

Great stuff. Have some rep
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

Hi Pat - Wooooowwweee its been a while since I seen you about here. Its really good to see you post again. I think I must have missed that first one and I almost missed this one except I thought - hang about, that name seems familiar...

Yeah I like your dioramas. I too haven't been mapping much for a while but I have been playing a lot of warhammer so have been making a few bits and pieces for a friends battle board. He have this very big Ork base to paint up soon - its all spikes and unstable platforms for them. Should be good. I think we had a monthly challenge a while back to map something using real modelling materials and real 3D stuff so its well in scope of the guild to do 3D dioramas. I like them anyway.

Good to see you about - stick around !

Hi Korash,

The Cavern of the underdark and den of evil expansion set are more reviews or critiques of products i use in my scenes. That's why i haven't shown a wide shot of the pieces. The Elminster Tower is the only real dioramas of the 3. And you're right, wide shots that show the everything is a must. I will put it in all my future scenes. Thanks for the comments. And the Tower is from a company called Pegasus Hobby. I wish i had the talent to make something so beautiful

And Redrobes, thanks for the warm welcome The thing is, i never left. I just didn't have really useful contribution to make to the community. My fingers are really hitching for mapping these days and i might just find the time hammer out some new maps soon. But this 3d stuff is so fun. I'm just having a ball with it. And the players at my table are digging it too.

Thanks again guyz

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com