View Poll Results: Which grid type do you prefer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Square. I prefer 90 degree angles and slightly longer diagonals.

13 37.14%
  • Staggered Square. Diagonals aren't a problem anymore.

2 5.71%
  • Hex. 6 sides worth of facing and movement.

10 28.57%
  • None. I don't need no stinkin' grid.

14 40.00%
  • Other. Have you ever seen this grid before?

1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Questions of the Grid

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Questions of the Grid

Inspired by this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1962 I decided to start a thread on a subject that continually comes up in various forums.

Quote Originally Posted by rlucci View Post
    I think it comes from not being constrained by the grid.
    I can't tell you how many times I've commented about that very thing. This is the bad thing about square grids and I wish more people would stop using them as the base of their drawing. Just draw your map then lay a grid over the top. I understand the old school mentality and the benefit of having the grid for mechanics reasons, but it just "feels" so much better when a map isn't confined by orthogonal lines.

In my opinion, the staggered square and hex grids are superior to the square in the realm of mechanics as well, and I remain baffled that D&D doesn't at least take the small step to using staggered squares. The mechanics would actually be simplified in some aspects by that move and the old school mappers would still have orthogonal lines to draw on.

================================================== =======

So this brings me to my questions.

1. Other than sentimental reasons, why do folks still use the square grid?
    2. Of the three major grid types (square, staggered square, hex), which one do you prefer? Why?
    3. Now take the game system out of the equation and tell me which one you prefer? Why?
    4. Did you know that with Virtual Tabletops such as MapTool that you can actually play without any sort of grid because it is able to measure distances?

And here is a small example of each type just to make sure there isn't any confusion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grids.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	3489  
    Last edited by RPMiller; 05-08-2008 at 11:38 AM.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.