Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: August 2012 Entry: The Devil's Cauldron

Guild Novice Facebook Connected HQCosTheta's Avatar

That looks so pro. I love the step-by-step too.
    HOMEPAGE
    [ Complete Maps | Hand Drawn Dungeons | Incomplete Maps | Textures ]

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

-Terry Pratchett

Stunning! The group of three inset windows on the right play tricks with my eyes a bit (not sure which way the wall is going) but I guess it's meant to suggest that the wall follows one axis on the upper part and then another axis below that? Whatever, great work!

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Cheers guys I have to say I am really happy with how it turned out, it could have gone a completely different way if I'd tried to just colour it as a map on its own, I do think the display on the page is what makes it and ties it all together (including the story). Originally I was just going to have the pit be very difficult to escape from, with lots of jumps and climbs (with the idea of it possibly being a DnD/Tabletop dungeon) but as I started on the story it did take on a more macabre tone where it was more about people taking pleasure out of the vampire prisoners suffering with the hands burning on the carved chain links or citizens dousing them with holy water as they climbed; the idea that the bells signifying a vampire is climbing the chain inducing merriment and laughter from it's people, as opposed to terror, I felt was slightly disturbing

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Stunning! The group of three inset windows on the right play tricks with my eyes a bit (not sure which way the wall is going) but I guess it's meant to suggest that the wall follows one axis on the upper part and then another axis below that? Whatever, great work!
    Yeh the iso cutaway was the hardest part of this map (I wouldn't recommend doing an iso where the main features go in front of other main features! ) but essentially the stairs just trail the wall leading ever upwards, changed the direction of the archway and the brickwork to try and convey this, albeit I admit it can look a bit like an M.C. Escher illustration, lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12