Thread: [Other] Battles of the Mythgate Boardgame Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [Other] Battles of the Mythgate Boardgame Map

What you're looking at above is a sample of the artwork and a depiction of the game mechanics for Battles of the Mythgate, a printable boardgame in dire need of a good map.

Battles of the Mythgate is a boardgame that we're putting together at the Mythic Scribes fantasy writing forums. Each month we're intending to add a selection of new characters, bosses, minions, maps and other content to the game. We're taking an ambitious approach towards making the characters and their enemies fun while keeping the basic mechanics simple and approachable. I want you to understand the game you would be helping to create, but I won't bore you with a rulebook. Instead I'll let the art and the content above speak for itself.

At this point we're looking for one or two unpaid maps to take us through the early design and promotional processes, but if the project is successful, the map is of high quality, and the artist is a team player, we could very well be making a different arrangement for future maps. We have volunteer contributors, including artists, putting a lot of quality work into Battles of the Mythgate and on other Mythic Scribes projects, and it wouldn't be fair to them to pay even a small amount for a map. But nobody is as eager to see that change as I am, and I believe we are taking the right steps towards making that happen.

Truthfully we're looking for a map maker who can join our team, contribute to the content and gameplay discussions, and help make the project a success in the long run, while also having fun doing it. But what we need to start with is the map below.

Subject

This is the mockup that I've put together in Excel. We need a graphic depiction of this map. Each square on the grid is one inch, representing five feet, and it should print across four pages.

The map is the village of a Shaman, Witch Doctor and a group of cannibals. The shaded areas represent their huts, dotted lines represent fences, and open borders of the map should be circled in a fence as well. The light green area represents the heroes' starting location and is retained in this copy for reference.

Because Battles of the Mythgate is a printable boardgame, all of the actual tiles should be white, even inside the huts, to conserve ink. We're mostly looking for the walls, doors and content of the buildings. It also has to print well in grayscale.

Style

I want to take a moment and admire the awesome work that all of you in this community put into your maps. Although this is my first post, I've been lurking here for a few months now, and I've seen some beautiful maps while surfing through the pages of the Cartographer's Guild. They put my years-old graph paper sketches to shame.

Waterside Hostel - by Tintagel
    Crypt of the Mad Monk - by DevinNight

The two maps at these threads are beautiful and go beyond what we're looking for artistically. As I mentioned above, Battles of the Mythgate is a printable boardgame, and the maps we'll need are similar to these but simplified for printing purposes.

I understand the artist in the first link uses a map set, while the second is entirely artistic. I'm not familiar with map sets, whether there's one that can do what we need for this map, or anything about the copyright issues that come with them. Ideally, we probably want to use a combination of a map set with a few areas of unique artwork highlighting the more important or unusual map features. But you can tell me more about the process you'd like to use.

I know this might be a lot to ask for an unpaid map, but we're also looking for a partner in what I've found to be an exciting venture with a lot of creativity and promise. The more you can bring to the table with your map(s), the more you become a part of the team, help the project to succeed, and share in that success.

Otherwise, we just need a map or two to get by for now, and as the project does well, we'll continue to seek out maps of the quality we're looking for.

Quality & Size

Like the mockup above, the map we need is 14 by 20 inches, spread across four printable pages. We need a map that looks professional, looks good in color or in grayscale, and makes good use of white space to keep down the printing hassles.

Time Constraints

Ideally, we'd hope to have a final map by the end of September. But you can tell us what's realistic.

Copyright

I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Well, that's the line from the Mapmaking Requests template, anyways. We could work something out if possibilities come up, but we need to have the flexibility to use this map according to the needs of the game.

Contact Information

Please respond by posting samples of your work here in this thread.

Thank you to everyone who responds. I've already noticed that the Cartographer's Guild is filled with a lot of great people and a good sense of community, and I'm sure with your help we can continue to create an awesome game.

Thanks for liking my map. I am swamped right now otherwise I would be happy to help.
    I hope you find someone, there is a lot of talent on these forums.
    Best of luck.
    -D

That's a shame, DevinNight, I'm sure you would do an awesome job.

Unfortunately for the time being we have to withdraw this offer. Thanks to everyone who considered it.