Thread: CC3 Question : Is this still alive?

Question CC3 Question : Is this still alive?

Hello,

I'm wondering about buying a mapping software, and CC3 seems like a good choice, even if an expansive one (I'm not a pro, I just want to draw some maps to play with my friends, and the different components add up really fast to a non reasonable price).

But I remember quite some time ago I had the same purchase lust, and at that time, I had already shortlisted CC3... This means that this software has not released major version for at least 4 years. So I'd like to know, from people that own it and use it, does the software editor look healthy to you? Are there regular minor version released? Do you have good support on bug fixing? Has anybody heard of a CC4 someday?

In one word, is this software alive or dying?

Thank you!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

CC4 is not in the planing as long as I know. But it does not mean that they have not being working. ProFantasy have lauched A LOT of material and upgrades for CC and their add on and are still working on upgrading others products. I know that they are planing a update in CC3 like the one that turned CC2 in CC2 Pro.

The News page is this one: http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...page=2#Item_13

And one tip. First buy only the CC3. Go adquiring products as you learn the basics and really feel the necessity for more options. CC3 plus the free symbols on internet is already a GREAT product.

And I REALLY sugest that you get the Tome of Ultimate Mapping togheter with CC3: http://www.profantasy.com/products/tome.asp

Ditto what Mateus said....buy CC3 for $40 and then get the add-ons as you see fit...

I know I read somewhere that they are currently working on a Perspectives 3 and updates for the source maps packs. The annuals are also a really good monthly update to subscribe to.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Perceptives and characters are being upgrated. I think that all the rest (apart form Source that is also begining to be worked on) all the rest is already up to date.

As stated ealrlier the product is very much alive. When i bought the product I started with CC3 and then bought one of the annuals the month after.I've then added more products later on as needed. In my opinion the really great styles are in the annual. Updating the program itself isn't that important in my opinion. It is very capable as it is. So updating with new styles is more important.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

I can second it's very much alive and ProFantasy keeps adding new content. Some of our members are much involved in this and created content for their annuals (I think there's work from Sapiento, Torstan, a2area, devinnight, me, and probably some others... ) cheers, DJ

Thank you all for your answers.

I'd just like to reply to a point. I've read from several people the answer that the software is already finished, and there is no room for improvements. As a software developer, I believe no software is ever finished, there is always some room for improvements.

And while I've not used CC yet (I've just watched quite some videos) it looks to me that although it looks the most able of all the software I've seen for cartography, I picked up places where I believe CC could be greatly improved.

For instance, the UI does not seem really pleasant or efficient to use. There are way to many dialog boxes, not enough direct interaction. Or the effects, while quite impressive, don't seem to take into account occlusion from other objects, which would make them even more impressive. I've not seen anything related to a varying line width (maybe it exists, but it's not shown in the videos), which could be quite nice to draw rivers. I've not seen anything that take into account input from a pen tablet, for instance matching the pen pressure to a density of trees.

That is why I think it is important that a software is updated regularly, so as to provided new cool stuff very often. I understand that a cartography software is a sum of the software itself and of an asset collection (styles, images, effects...). I'm very glad to see that the asset collection is very dynamic and evolves very often. I've been totally amazed by what I've seen in the examples from the annuals. I just hope that the software part itself will be updated too.

Once again, thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Gathar View Post
    I just hope that the software part itself will be updated too.
    Don't worry so much. ProFantasy already has solicited comments on what should be included in CC4, which doubtless will be released before CC5 and CC6 (to say nothing of CC7).
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gathar View Post
    I've read from several people the answer that the software is already finished, and there is no room for improvements. As a software developer, I believe no software is ever finished, there is always some room for improvements.
    Profantasy don't believe that either and are constantly working to add to and improve their products.

For instance, the UI does not seem really pleasant or efficient to use. There are way to many dialog boxes, not enough direct interaction.
    It has to be kept in mind that CC is based on CAD software, not visual graphics creation software. What they have enabled CC3 to do with effects that something like Gimp would handle without batting an eyelash can only be seen as great accomplishment, not as a failure that they haven't done more. The greatest, most persistent knock against it has always been that it has a steep learning curve and/or is not especially user-friendly. Again, much of that seems to stem from it being CAD-based. It just handles the job of creating the end result from a much different perspective than users are typically used to, and that takes time and effort to grasp and become proficient with. That difference in how it does what it does is also an underlying strength which accounts for why it is still HERE in the face of competition from far cheaper (free!) and more "intuitive" software. JMHO