Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What things should NOT be on a VTT map?

Post What things should NOT be on a VTT map?

Just a question (as I don't use VTT software). What should NOT be on the map..

So far I have heard:
    • grids
    • higher elevation objects like trees

What about things like:
    • doors
    • room contents that can be shifted
    • shadows/lighting

??

-Rob A>

There really aren't any hard rules on this, but basically it boils down to: Is the object going to be moved or changed? If so, leave it off the base map so that it can be added by the GM.

Anything that gets in the way of the 'immersive' feeling that the VTT supplies should be left off such as grids and text.

Shadows/lighting is typically left off as those are dependent on what the PCs have with them. Also, with the newest version of MapTool, as an example, light sources can be assigned to objects so that the object radiates light. If you put in shadows and lighting they could conflict with what it should look like.

Definitely leave off NPCs or things that move about as those will likely be tokens that are added.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

The PCs?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Coffee stains.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Coffee stains.
    heh nice...

Tis a can o worms that question to which many megs of web serving harddrives have been consumed.

My opinion... anything that you either want to change during play or really would not want on it when you come back to it a long time later. I am not as anal about it as some tho where anything more ephemeral than the bedrock should be omitted

Grids are a bit special as its not part of the map but more a construct of the mapping process. A grid is alright sometimes but the VTT app can do more if it owns the grid so that kinda depends on the app. Same goes for trees. I have no problem with my own trees but as a single flat bitmap you can't magically go under any umbrella shaped objects.

My own silliness brought up a question for me. Would it be inappropriate to make a VTT map in the style of an old map on torn, faded, folded parchment. Given the amount of effort that goes into making maps look like they are on old paper that got left in someone's pocket in the wash, the brown ring of quality doesn't seem altogether unreasonable. And a pink stain from the baron's sherry.

Depends on personal preference really. Most VTT users want something immersive and "realistic" looking to play on. If you look through the VTT sites you can get a really good idea of what people want/use. I posted a link to the Battlegrounds VTT forum page that lists all the VTTs and has direct links to them. I forget which thread I posted it in so I'll post it again here:
    http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

How do you approach adding secret doors to a VTT map?

There are a several methods there as well and can really only be answered specific to the VTT that is being used. For example, in MapTool, Fog of War would be in place to cover up the 'secret passage' and on the GM map there might be a note or something stating that there is a secret door there, but the players wouldn't be able to see this as it would be invisible to the players on their screen. Once the secret has been discovered the GM would "open" the door and reveal part of the passage beyond to the players dependent on their light sources and vision distance.

So, on the player's view of the map there would be no secret door icon or the like. On the GM's view of the map there would be a stamp or object placed on the map with the pertinent information. Therefore, you as the map creator would treat the secret passage as simply part of the wall/cavern/whatever and draw it as such and then indicate in the adventure text somewhere that there is a secret passage there.

An alternate method that I have seen is that the passage is actually drawn in as part of the map and then the GM places a stamp/object that looks just like the wall over the opening and then removes it when the door is discovered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    How do you approach adding secret doors to a VTT map?
    As said, theres several methods. Also it matters whether you think your group tries to cheat. The preferred way to do it in VDale is to have the map made of lots of bits and have a GM map which is a blank map with all the bits already on it. Now simply the secret door is just a bit that hasnt been added until you search for it instead of being able to see it. Until you addd that section the players do not have that bit of the map anywhere on their system.

If your group is adult enough not to cheat then its easier to map the wall to a certain thickness and have the corridor, or passage behind it. Cover the passage with the fog of war like the rest of the unknown map and reveal it. You can see tho that when the players have the map before secret that it is possible to look at the images on the HDD and see that there is a passage there.

If the secret merely goes to a room or otherwise disjoint part of the map then you could put a jump token down to the new secret bit of map when they find it and then jump through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast