Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can any one recommend a good space sci fi book?

I just read the first three books in C.J. Cherryh's Chanur series. Well-written, with interesting aliens. It's a good one. Heinlein is always a good one: Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Friday...just about anything, really.
    M

A saga that I have really enjoyed to read is the Seafort Saga. Written by David Feintuch (i think i have the ei around the right way). The first book is called Midshipman's Hope, I highly recommend it. If you enjoy it, there are 6 more following it.

Guild Novice

Neal Stephenson has been mentioned already but I'll mention him again because he's awesome. My screen name is from the first book of his History of the World trilogy.

William Gibson is also pretty amazing. Nueromancer is a good one to start with. I believe he was the first to ever use the term cyberspace.

The most recent thing I've read that's relevant to this thread is Deep Six by Jack McDevitt. No dictionary needed, but some great characters and the science aspects, while basic, are still pretty neat. It's even got a map!

As reccomended by Lukc, the Dan Simmons' books are awesome. Hyperion / Endymion, that's my Sci-fi bible.

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven is an excellent work of "Hard" Sci-Fi that incorporates quite a few concepts together; religion, xenophobia, warfare, classes.

Guild Novice

Depends on what type or era you're interested in. Having grown up in the 60s and 70s I have always had a preference for the modern masters; Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, P.K. Dick, Niven and Bradbury. Some of my favorites are 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' and 'Starship Troopers' by Heinlein but forget that movie its about social ethic and civic responsibility. '2001', 'Rendezvous with Rama' or almost anything by Clarke or Asimov is a good read. The first two in Niven's 'Ringworld' series are good but the last was a bit too odd.
    Enjoy I know I did.

An interesting sci-fi-so-far-out-there-it-seems-to-start-as-fantasy read is the Jacob's Ladder Trilogy by Elizabeth Bear (Dust, Chill and Grail). I found them last year and enjoyed each book more than the previous one.

(As a caution there are some less then mainstream concepts on gender roles and sexuality in the books that some may not appreciate.)

-Rob A>

If I may add a vote for my favorite sci-fi series: The Vorkosigan saga books by Lois McMaster Bujold. A believable and relatable setting, engaging stories and fantastically written characters.

And for those not so much into sci-fi... she did a number of great fantasy novels as well.

My first thought is that you NEED to read Dune. It's exactly what you're looking for. My next thought is to try to convince you the check out my book, but I've got nothing on Frank Herbert so read Dune.

I agree with most of the above, particularly the five Foundation novels. Also on my must read list:

Anne McCaffrey (and later son Todd McCaffrey): Dragonriders of Pern, The Ship Who Sang et al, The Tower and Hive series (The Rowan, etc. - named my daughter after the main character), Doona and much more.

Ursula K. Le Guin: Earthsea, Hainish Cycle (particularly The Left Hand of Darkness).

Andre Norton: Beast Master (the movies were a joke), The Solar Queen series, The Time Traders & Witch World series, Voodoo World, and a quirky little surprise called The Sioux Spaceman (trust me...).

Marion Zimmer Bradley: Yeah, she writes sci-fi - The Darkover series, for one. But don't skip the Avalon Series - or you'll kick yourself.

...and if I were king, NOT reading The Martian Chronicles and Stranger in a Strange Land would be punishable by 20 slaps with a wet cod.
    Last edited by RJsDad; 04-14-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: random thought
    "No matter where you go, there you are".

Buckaroo Banzai

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast