Thread: The Old Windmill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Default The Old Windmill

Here's an illustrated map of an old windmill that I created for Chris Perkins' D&D Adventure "Prey for Smiley Bob". I love working on isometric cutaways but wow! They take some time! I really wanted to sell the old school ink and watercolor style in this one. I think it came off pretty well. Crits welcome!

© 2012 Wizards of the Coast
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_TheOldWindmill.jpg 
Views:	1065 
Size:	859.1 KB 
ID:	47944  

I have a real thing for windmills of all types so I love this. And these types make places that can be real great plot points or a focus of an encounter. Now this is an inefficient windmill but my favourites are vertical axis windmills which are even more inefficient =P. Following this type of windmill is one where a small wooden "cap" on the top where shaft protruded would be that could be rotated to face the wind. And following that, they designed it so the entire windmill could rotate.

And there are all kinds of windmill too. Little ones that just operate an archimedes screw to drain fenland and stuff. Others like those ones you see in the US which are simple lattice structures to help irrigate fields. They are so very useful.

Windmills are some of the best things. Huge labour saving devices too! The Romans weren't too big on them because they had slaves but they did the work of dozens and dozens of slaves.

Windmills. Cheer for them!

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Whilst I'm not as big a windmill fan as Larb, I have to say I love this one. Great work as always Schley.

Very nicely done ! I especially love the fabric texture.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Lovely work as per usual!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

It's reeeeeeeeallly nicely done!

Good job!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I love how your work is so intricate and crisp. How much of it is hand drawn and how much digital?
    Thanks Ravells! My maps are actually 100% digital. I use a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and Photoshop CS5 exclusively.

I live up in the mountains, down in a cave, way out west.
    Blog Entries

Are you a windmill engineer or salesman? This is a fantastic idea. I probably never would have thought to include a windmill given that in my neck of the woods there are a total of 3 and they're wind turbines. Your spiral staircase got me thinking: what if the stairs were built around the inside of the tower with the axis running down the middle? I figure this would give mechanical access in case of needed repairs/maintenance. Perhaps it's constructed of several pieces that can be easily replaced.