Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greater Dyanmir

Post Greater Dyanmir

This is an AD&D2e campaign map for a game that was supposed to happen last summer but fizzled out for various reasons. Basically what I've been doing is sketching out a rough map in MS Paint and then elaborating on the sketch in Photoshop. What can I say? I'm still an apprentice mapmaker.

Post uh-oh, you're gonna get "river" critiques...

Uh-oh, you're gonna get "river" critiques, here...

Although large rivers have deltas at the mouth, these are branches of the main river and generally very short, except for the largest rivers.

In every other case, a river does not fork downstream, ever. Forks occur when rivers from different sources join another river moving downstream. The forks point away from the sea, never forking off and reaching the sea separately.

Other than that, nice map. You should check out GIMP, since you fiddle with Photoshop. Lots of tutorials for both here, however. I can't believe the number of people who map with MS Paint (!?)

Welcome - and don't take my criticism too harshly, just a point of geography...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Nice call on the rivers. It's something I've never considered, and I guess I'm going to have to brush up on the whole tributary/distributary thing before I dig into my next map.

Apart from the river issues (You may have to hand yourslef in to the river police) I think your map is great. Lovely style. Clear and eye-catching without resorting to garish and over-saturated colours. Well done. I think that would be a great style to appear at the front of a fantasy novel, assuming there is a single publisher in the world who would not be so skinflint as to insist on black ink on toilet paper, which seems to be the printing norm in the industry.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Apart from the river issues (You may have to hand yourslef in to the river police) I think your map is great. Lovely style. Clear and eye-catching without resorting to garish and over-saturated colours.

Torq
    I can't say it better than this. Beautiful.

Love the colours
    love the coastline
    love the labelling
    LOVE the mountains (so good to see a new variation, I think I'll have to remember these!)
    less convinced by the trees (though I'm struggling to suggest what you could do with them instead. I think they look too regular. I know the mountains are made of repeating patterns, but it's actually not that obvious unless you look for it - maybe make a few handdrawn sections of forest to lay together to match the mountain style and make it less regular?)
    and yes, there are some river issues, but far better minds than mine have pointed this out

All in all, I really like this, and I can't wait to see what you do with it...

I wondered about the rivers, briefly and then looked at the scale. I don't have too big a problem with it as it is indicative of a HUGE River delta system, and we have HUGE river delta areas here on Earth, like the one depicted here:

http://www.e-c-h-o.org/khd/images/Delta.jpg

And this area covers an area about as large as the one you haver represented on you rivers in the area of Ten Cities.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post River Police may have a bad bust.

I agree that the rivers might be too be as probable geography but... If the size represented the extent to which they are navigable that would be a decent justification for their size.

So tributaries etc... might all exist but the map confines itself to river trade routes.

Sigurd, rationalizer par excellence .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast