Thread: Fantasy World Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Fantasy World Map

So I found this forum about a week ago and decided to try my hand at following some of the tutorials on the site. I've been writing a book for a while now, and I decided it needed a map. These are still WIP and are likely to change as my skill improves and new ideas suit me. In the meantime I'm looking for criticism and suggestions for improvements.

I took two blank slate maps provided by other forum users and ported their layers (and enlarged them) into my own PSD. I would like to thank youtube user ILoveMyMatty for the world map template and the video instructions, and forum user rpgmapmaker for the regional map style I imported and the videos showing their use. Both of them have made this effort possible.

My largest problem seems to be resolution with the regional map. I believe this cannot be solved without redrawing the map, as my attempts to transform and enlarge it have failed miserably, even where I maintained the same ratio, it simply looks disastrous. But I think it could also use some better dirt/sand/grass/rock/water textures. If anyone knows a good tutorial for making them or has free templates for those textures for PS I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any helpful criticism you can give,

Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120901 140710.jpg 
Views:	1688 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	47973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120901 140630.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	47974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120901 140517.jpg 
Views:	9201 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	47975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120901 140440.jpg 
Views:	20925 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	47976