• Sci-Fi Ancient Prison Ship by Fury

1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** AUGUST 2012 CHALLENGE VOTING: Map a Prison ***

Default *** AUGUST 2012 CHALLENGE VOTING: Map a Prison ***

PLEASE VOTE FOR 2 ENTRIES

VIEW THUMBNAILS HERE

Well it's time to bring out your voting buttons again!

This month's challenge was to map a prison, namely:
    ... to map a prison of some sort. Anything built to keep its occupant contained qualifies.
    As always we leave it to the voters to decide whether the entries fit the challenge criteria.

There were a lot of entries this month and more than a few from our newer members - thanks for having a go and participating!

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT VOTED BEFORE, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:

1. Have a look at the maps. You can find them all conveniently thumbnailed for you here;
    2. please vote for 2 entries in the poll above;
    3. please give rep to deserving entries, these guys have put in a lot of effort into making great maps for us to admire!

Best of luck to everyone!

-ravells.

All great entries - congratulations everyone on your prisons.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

This was sure a collection of unusually maps.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Great job all. I actually found it quite hard to choose my two favourites as there were a couple I liked, trying to balance creativity with technique and style. As my first challenge entry I have to say I found it a blast and I'm looking forward to the next one already

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

My main vote went to Bogie's Bridge of Tears Prison. Love the level of detail presented.

Watsland would have been my number my selectionsone pick, but all it needed was a discription in each of the specific diagrams on the right to finish it up. Thanks for the great entries. It was hard to pick my selections.

Another tough call this Month. I wanted to vote for 4: Detention Centre 417 by LonewandererD, The Dark by lostatsea, Prison Planet by Sapiento and The Devil's Cauldron by Yospeck. I ended up going with Centre 417 and Prison Planet. But good job everyone.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer

As always, quite difficult to judge... Congrats to all for applying the challenge, I wish I could have myself...

My 2 choices:
    1/ SuperMax Seven by Diamond: very detailed, neat realization, ready to use, and I like the simple and efficient style
    2/ The Dark by lostatsea: clear and ready to use sci-fi style

My would be choices / special mentions:
    Detention Centre 417 by LonewandererD: nice details (escapees and others), but lack of readibility inside the camp itself.
    The Devil's Cauldron by Yospeck: nice style and feeling, but no map key or indications except some drown in the text, would be my first otherwise.
    Brbridge of Tears Prison...There is no return. by Bogie: nice continuing of last challenge, but no map key or indications.
    Sci-Fi Ancient Prison Ship by Fury: style very interesting depicting a grim sci-fi mood, but lack readibility, I spent some time on it but still don't understand the place.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Depassage View Post
    The Devil's Cauldron by Yospeck: nice style and feeling, but no map key or indications except some drown in the text, would be my first otherwise.
    Thanks for the mention The "map" isn't supposed to be a map in the traditional sense, which is why there are no indicators because quite simply I felt it would just clog up the image and detract from the overall feel (ie. it's a page from a n ancient book as opposed to reference material). Also, it's a fairly simple map so really didn't feel there was anything that would need highlighting that couldn't be taken from the image itself, the text was fluff/lore there to support it. Whilst I could have thrown a compass rose, scale meter and notes onto it, I think it would have just looked like a standard "Tabletop Iso Map", which isn't what I was aiming for at all.

Tough choice this month. Eventually plumped for Ttaliel but only just. Congrats all round for all submitters.
    Last edited by Tigon; 09-04-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Tigon Ologdring
    Worldbuilder, Shieldsmith and Bannerman of Midnight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast