Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Map for a Novel

...and I know why I haven't done it before

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	working_3-1.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	3494

This is going to be a map for Paragon's novel that was asked for in the map request thread. I am pretty happy so far. I more or less just followed Hapimeses' tutorial Needs some cleanup, but it is getting there. (This is resized 50%).

I did the mountains and hills in five separate session... probably 10 hours total, as my hand kept cramping (I gotta figure a better way to hold the stylus).

I haven't decided how to do the forests, yet, though there are a few nice styles I think I will copy.

There is also a region of marshland (north of the mountain range) and I would be happy for pointers on making marshes in a pictorial rather than symbolic fashion.

-Rob A>

Wow. That looks really really good, but your river has a problem...

Just kidding. I couldn't find anything constructive to say.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I think it looks fantastic, but that you should try it with the shadows on the right...

... shouldn't take long

Seriously though, I've got to try this too. Have something nice on the radio on the background and just draw, draw, draw those mountains, cos at the end of the day, for this style of map, handdrawn mountains trump symbols any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Seriously though, I've got to try this too. Have something nice on the radio on the background and just draw, draw, draw those mountains, cos at the end of the day, for this style of map, handdrawn mountains trump symbols any day of the week.
    Of course, you could always take these drawn mountains and make symbols from them. Thus enabling us poor schmucks without talent to draw nice maps as well.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

here are some photoshop brushes of mountains I made sometime back ...

while were on the subject
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very nice Rob. I would rep you, but I just gave you some for your one of your Tutorials.

If you were not so far along on the mountains, I would say you should consider trying to force perspective by making the mountains in the foreground a bit larger. The river at the top flowing into the sea from the north already gives me the impression of a bit of perspective and would be even more so if a tiny bit broader at the ocean/sea. I might just have to take this map as a basis and give this idea a play. Probably won't come out right since I don't have a tablet, but what the heck...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow! nice, and that was a lot of mountains to draw! I like the way that you did the rivers.

I need to get a stylus.

Beautiful work.

The force perspective would be nice on this style of map, at least slightly with a maybe one of the rivers to run behind a peak of a mountain? Then again what do I know?

Thanks all. I could not have done this without the tutorial. It gave me the confidence to try something like this as I really feel my artistic ability is limited. The suggestion not to worry about "mistakes" and just work with them was a big help. That and keeping one hand on ctrl-z

-Rob A>