Thread: B/W Map of a Planet for Novel - Mapmaker needed

Guild Novice

Default B/W Map of a Planet for Novel - Mapmaker needed

Hi all, I am working on book III of my science fiction series and would like to put a map of the planet it takes place on near the front of the book.

Commission:
    I am on a budget so I can provide a maximum of $50 for this map or $35 plus a free book with the map in it upon completion. (though less is happily preferred)

Time:
    Sometime before June 2012

Style:
    This will be a black and white map of terrain (lakes, rivers, mountains, deserts, ice caps, and a stylized sun). You do not have to draw any labels; I can type them in on top of your terrain. This should make the map take much less time for you.
    The style should match the style of the two maps on this web page:
    http://www.historyofagalaxy.com/HG/Maps.aspx
    or this one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...6&d=1240162324

Description:
    I have a draft map drawn up which I can send. It is essentially the same in size and scope to the map of the planet Shamonj in the first link above (same zoom level).

Quality / Size:
    300dpi, 7 inches wide, 5.5 inches high
    B/W for print in a book
    png or photoshop format

Copyright:
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his or her portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.
    Credit to the artist, link to url, etc can be placed somewhere appropriate in the book.

Let me know if you're interested and your fee, especially if you can provide a sample of a b/w map you made in a similar style.
    Thanks,
    Amos
    Last edited by amosz42; 09-06-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Upped commission

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Hi I am interested in doing your map. You can find my Arden Map on the startpage of cg here. If my style is ok for your map, please send me a message.

Amos, I can definitely give you the style you want. Check out some of the hand drawn elements on my site: www.mfedewa.tumblr.com

Guild Novice

Here are more specifics:
    The planet has one pole (north) constantly facing the sun.
    Therefore the north half is a burning desert. You can put any features in the desert you like (assorted mountains, canyons, great cracks, or just flat sand.

The south half is frigid cold. It is primarily covered by a large ocean with a few small scattered landmasses. About half of this is enacased in ice cap/snow.

Between the northern desert and southern ocean/ice cap is a narrow band of habitable land. Much of it is jungle, though there can be other features as well.

Attached is a shot of the planet from a distance. The black band in the middle is the green habitable jungles and grasslands going through the middle of the planet.

Also attached is my first try at a draft of the actual planet map. I would like north oriented to the extreme left and right so that there is more room to show the habitable area, cutting off the far northern pole. I would like south oriented toward the center so that you can show the line of the ice cap and maybe a few snow covered mountains on the islands, but otherwise cutting off most of the southern pole.
    I laid out some random mountain ranges, rivers, lakes, bays, islands, etc, but the actual location of any of this is not important; you can follow them exactly or you can customize the planet in any way you like providing the following are kept:
    1) habitable area roughly matches that of the small planet globe
    2) south is covered by a large frigid ocean (with whatever islands you want to put in)
    3) the southern portion of the large ocean is encased in ice
    4) north is covered by a sizzling hot, unlivable desert
    5) south pole is oriented to the center of the map with a break (no image) where the page break of the book will fall
    6) north pole is oriented to the edges of the map with 2 compass roses indicating such
    7) a sun is shown at either end of the map to enhance the sense that the desert is extremely hot because the sun is shining on it all day
    8) there are 7 cities that can go wherever you like provided that one of them is somewhat in the desert on a lake (I show it near the top left of the map), another is on the coast nearer to the south (a cold icy city, Ezz in my picture), and another is inland away from everything and well protected by mountains (Nol-amer)
    9) the central band is at least 50% jungle
    10) do not label anything - I will add labels later

Again, I just put this draft map together randomly and you can detail the planet however you like, even changing the coastline, mountains, etc as long as you stay within the general parameters above.

Thanks,
    Amos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlanetLexon copy reduced.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	42756

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LEXON_DRAFT.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	573.6 KB 
ID:	42757

Blog Entries

You can't have the north and south poles aligned with the sun. A planet with its axis in the plane of the ecliptic would tend to resist tide lock, and if it were to tide lock anyway, it would mean the axis had shifted up to perpendicular to the ecliptic. This is a necessary condition of tide lock if you think about it, in order to rotate so that the same side of the planet is facing the sun as it orbits, the planet has to be rotating in the same plane as its orbit.

Guild Novice

You're right, I threw the compass rose on at the last minute without really thinking about what way it should point, so that I could use it as a reference to explain the map. Since north should be 'up' in the picture, it doesn't have to be included.

Guild Novice

This is taken...

Marked as taken and Congrats on being my first CL activity.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

Hi, could we reopen this? I am still looking to get this done. I will also offer up to $50 for this.
    Thanks,
    Amos

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

if you are paying $50 I could dig... ill put a valid effort into it to...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...s-Square-(WIP) for examples of my hand drawn... they are rough but I would do clean work for money!