Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twisted Brush Studio

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I'm tinkering with Artrage for natural brush feel at the moment. Jon Hodgson does beautiful watercolour work in it - but having just started with it, I'm finding that it's tough to get nice watercolour effects out of it. I'll keep plugging away and I'll post some map work when/if I get it working for me.
    @torstan: In Artrage, if you change the paper texture, either on the base menu or the layer menu, you get much better watercolor effects. I touched on it in my thread here (post 8 ) but much of that knowledge was gained from a youtube video in which a guy paints a skull... here it is.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hey Chasio - thanks a lot! Those are great links. It's worth checking out these by Jon Hodgson too: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJonHod...ure=CBAQwRs%3D (I haven't done more than glance at them so far, but they look like a good resource).

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Not bad at all, ravells. =) What tool did you use for the line work? I thought it was scanned.
    Yes, it was scanned, a quick pencil sketch to give me something to paint on. I'm also experimenting by putting in the tonal values by using art marker pens. It's a lot faster than doing it digitally (but there is no ctrl-z) :-O

Thanks, torstan =) I watched a few of the Jon Hodgson videos... he definitely knows how to use the program. Although, it looks like he uses the oil brush instead of watercolor (at least in the ones I watched).

ravells: Drat. I should have stuck with my first thought... I knew it was scanned. haha!

Here's my test run with TBrush... I haven't figured out how to adjust the resolution yet (too tired to bother), so 72ppi is what happened. Oh well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TBrush watercolor map.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	552.7 KB 
ID:	48053

Hey that looks really promising. Looks like you are going with the oils?

I have the feeling that TB just works in pixels so you have to do the maths yourself if you want to calculate how big a canvas you will in pixels need to support print resolutions given the physical size you want to print at.

I'm finding the whole masking process a bit frustrating in TB (photoshop it is not!). It doesn't seem to support a default transparent layer (but I'm probably doing something wrong) - right now I have the background set to white on all my layers and the blend mode as multiply (which isn't ideal). I'm almost inclined to forget that it has layers at all and just paint everything on one layer.

Groan. I dislike math. And it's watercolor, actually. I'll do something with the oils sometime, but good digital watercolors are hard to pass up when you find them.

For more details on tools and process:
    I used a huge (slow) wet wc brush to soften the white paper (linen paper) then a smaller (between 30-80px) dry wc brush for the land and water.
    (as most people know, but for those who don't...) The color picker (ALT) makes blending easier, though in this program it doesn't have an X to mark the middle so you have to aim well if your brush is very big. And, being watercolor, it only darkens and once it's dark it's rather difficult to make it lighter, but if you pick something close to white I found that it acts vaguely like water on wet paint and will lighten a little.
    The rivers were accomplished with the writing pen tool, the white labels (meant to simulate brushed masking fluid) with another pen (I think it's called rough edged pen) and I believe I did the dark label in ball point. The drawing tools seem to be a bit harder to use (that's probably the resolution... and none of those are Pro tools), and I've yet to find a pencil I like. But there you go.

Ah sorry, my bad...I'm playing lots with the watercolours too. There are so many dang brushes and it does so many things (some so similar that I think one could cut down on the brushes but I'd prefer to have more rather than fewer).

Good news, you can adjust the resolution: Go to Page > Set Page Size and everything you need is there.

I've yet to get to grips with paper textures, but there are so many nooks and crannies to explore. I'm just a bit sorry that once Painter arrives I shall probably shelve TB while I get to grips with Painter. They seem to be so similar in application I don't really want to have to take the time to learn both bits of software in depth. Once I've compared them and decided which one I like better, I'll probably just let the other one gather dust.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Good news, you can adjust the resolution: Go to Page > Set Page Size and everything you need is there.
    Excellent! Thank you for figuring that out. =) I think I may upgrade to the newest edition... Just breezed through the revision list for 18 and 19 and I think it's worth it. Aaaand... the discount doesn't hurt, either.

Edit: Ooh, I just found the precision brush mode in Edit > Preferences. Though I was hoping to change the default background color. It doesn't really matter since you can do Page > Clear Page to Current Color. I like that better.
    Last edited by Chashio; 09-07-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I upgraded earlier today
    Nice!

Messing about with the oils... that's as far as I could get without looking at a photo reference, haha! Well, I might have muddled through, but it would have been mud. =) Lot's of fun, though!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TBrush oil test.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	48066
    Last edited by Chashio; 09-07-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast