Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twisted Brush Studio

Hey that looks really good! I've started on another city test. It's still not where I want it, but it's getting there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monte test_01.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	48068  

Lol, my bottle's not wholly there yet, but thanks. =) And likewise! Those shapes are intriguing... I look forward to seeing them completed. The shadows really set it off! Did you use the markers to lay things out before scanning?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

On this map I took a screenshot of a city (Montepulciano in Tuscany), roughly traced the walls, roads and other negative spaces (like squares, gardens etc) and then printed it out poster sized on my printer (4 sheets of paper) and then used a 0.5mm mechanical pencil to draw the buildings. It looks so much better on the paper than the scan. I'm going to have to find another way of doing this. Hand drawing buildings with a pencil is much faster than using the computer but the computer gives a cleaner line (which is also a bit characterless). I dont want to have to 'ink' the pencil though, that would really drive me mad in terms of taking time.

I wonder..... Could you tape a piece of paper to your tablet and rig/tape a pencil to the stylus, and set the side button to left click? Probably not. I know they have ink tips for some of the wacom styluses. That might be worth it.
    Last edited by Chashio; 09-08-2012 at 07:31 PM.

It's just a question of finding what works for you....I'm getting there slowly, but it's back to Serif Drawplus which is giving me the best results in faking watercolour effects but still being fast with it. (see attached). I'm thinking I might work in more water colour effects with painter (finally arrived - yay!) or TB later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_true serif_01.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	48085  

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    I wonder..... Could you tape a piece of paper to your tablet and rig/tape a pencil to the stylus, and set the side button to left click? Probably not.
    Well, actually... http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...270#post195270
    Last edited by Chashio; 09-08-2012 at 07:40 PM.

On a side note, could we change the thread title to the program name now that the freebie offer is expired?

I've tried this twisted brush before. I had a lot of difficulty figuring things out. However the new owners manual is much better at explaining ALL the various settings of which there is a huge amount. I has the potential to be a Great mapping program. There are however a few problems with it for me. ONE: I like to use some very non standard brushes and there doesn't seem to be a easy way to recreate or import them Into twisted brush. Two I have a powerful system, well above the max requirements however Some of the include brushes lag terribly behind the cursor while applying. Draw a stroke wait 6-8 seconds for it to catch up then repeat. Basically makes those brushes more hassle than they are worth. All in all though there is so much that can be done with it if I can find work-arounds for those two problems . I 'll switch most of my mapping projects over to it !! Nice TRIALS guys. Ravells did you get help with that problem on the support forum ??
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

The latest edition of TB is meant to be twice as fast for brushes over 50 px as it now uses multi-core processing (there is a difference but hard to say whether it's twice as good). The feedback on the forum was really quick with the main man, Ken (who I think wrote the software) answering within 24 hours. I've just started to play with Painter. I love the way it rotates and tilts with the stylus. The watercolours are really nice too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123