Thread: May Entry: Caverns Deep

Post May Entry: Caverns Deep

Dwarven delvers tell tales of Caverns Deep, where brave souls may find the richest ores but few dare to tread. Indeed, it is so dark that even the stone earth itself is black. It is an immense realm of bare rock, twisting back on itself, but stretching on endlessly.....

Welcome to the first section of Caverns Deep, the newest project from the Gamemaster's Apprentice. It is a little different from other maps, in that it is designed to tie into others of the Cavern series. But it can also be used on it's own: note that if you exit out of one of the passageways, it lines up with the passage on the other side.

A second version is also attached, demonstrating overlays that allow each passageway to be closed off.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CavernsDeep_A1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	3500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CavernsDeep_A1_Overlays.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	3501  
    Last edited by GM's Apprentice; 05-09-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: had to insert script-marker

Hm, having looked at the results, I obviously need to improve my reducing skills. They do not look so good in the low resolution.

True, but great idea!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I have about 15 kb to work with on these, so I'll try and improve the resolution a bit. These are workable, but only if the players are exploring a mud cave.

So, how high can the image size go and still be playable for VTs? I was under the impression that you had about 500kb to work with.

(Note: I also need to drop the dpi on these a bit more--they are currently at 72 dpi, but with a lot of compression on the jpeg)

Well if you aren't concerned about the challenge VTs can handle pretty big files. MapTool is limited to about 5000x5000 for the resolution on bounded maps.

For the map resolution think in even increments of what the VT uses as its base. For example, MapTool uses 50 ppi so 100 and 200 are nice increments that allow zooming and maintaining quality. Other VTs have different resolutions so you would have to check their specs. For the challenge though you have to worry about file size regardless of map size, but you do have a minimum size as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.