View Poll Results: Do you use mapping software at the table?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use PS/GIMP/some drawing program with a projector/monitor at the gaming table

5 19.23%
  • I use a VTT at the gaming table

7 26.92%
  • I use a regular battlemat and minis

13 50.00%
  • We don't need no stinkin battlemat! Our game is about imagination...

8 30.77%
  • What's a computer?

3 11.54%
  • Other?

4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who uses PS/GIMP/etc at the gaming table

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I use maptool because I'm based in a different country from my old gaming groups. However, much of the gaming is done on maps other than battlemaps. An example is the recent adventuyre played in Melvaunt from WotCs Mysteries of the Moonsea. Most of the adventure there was played over a city map. we have a 'party' token that shows where they are and as they explored the city they made notes of what the different regions where using the text tool on the map. We only switched to a tactical scale when a fight, or careful break-in adventure occured.

For face-to-face games I still bring a laptop because the online searchable SRD is a lifesaver for D&D. I also use maptool, but only on my ow laptop, so that I can use quick preset dice-rolls and precisely calculate distance. My players get line drawings on scrap-paper and their imagination. They do just fine.

Hehe - I guess we must be oldschool players. We just a use a chequered tablecloth, with minis for the combatants, maybe a few pencils or dice to mark any important walls, and in our last fight a pint glass to indicate a shortlived magical rift! The same tablecloth has done service as an underground lair, a crater in the desert, and everything in between. Even a stretch of the Woolly Bay for a massive naval encounter. Tablecloths, minis, and imagination is where it's at.

As a side note, I'm intrigued by those who say they can find things in a pdf file quicker than in an actual real-world honest-to-goodness book. Whilst I think computers are miraculous devices with many good points, I've never found them significantly quicker than a book for flicking to info I might need. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

I use Minis, a lot of minis. Maybe because I am a competitive Minis player I have lots of them, in fact I have all sets all back to Harbinger, and am currently only missing three from the recent set (Young Red Dragon, Death Knight, Bralhannoth).

Anyways, with my HUGE selection of minis, I also have:

4 Chessex Battlemats
    Every set of WotC's Dungeon Tile (They have a free mapper for use with the tiles here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I use Minis, a lot of minis. Maybe because I am a competitive Minis player I have lots of them, in fact I have all sets all back to Harbinger, and am currently only missing three from the recent set (Young Red Dragon, Death Knight, Bralhannoth).
    Nice... We have a number of minis, both real old (even paper thingies) and some of the more recent D&D minis also. heh.. most of the time, my DM ends up using boardgame pieces (sorry pawns) to represent grunt enemies. I SO wish we had a projector though to use something like Maptool cause he still uses a transparent 1 in square grid he draws line on with an erasable marker
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12