View Poll Results: Do you use mapping software at the table?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use PS/GIMP/some drawing program with a projector/monitor at the gaming table

5 19.23%
  • I use a VTT at the gaming table

7 26.92%
  • I use a regular battlemat and minis

13 50.00%
  • We don't need no stinkin battlemat! Our game is about imagination...

8 30.77%
  • What's a computer?

3 11.54%
  • Other?

4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Who uses PS/GIMP/etc at the gaming table

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Who uses PS/GIMP/etc at the gaming table

I saw someone a few months ago somewhere (link out of the maptools forum perhaps?) where a GM used Photoshop with a projector mounted above the gaming table to create a battlemap for real miniatures. He used various PS layers to show/hide features such as secret doors, etc as things were found and had a top layer overlay which acted as a sort of "fog of war/darkness" for unexplored areas which he erased as players entered line of site/vision range.

Question is, how many other people use their computer at the gaming table (for face to face) using a projector/second monitor/whatever to reveal map elements? Maptool, ViewingDale, etc would also be counted in this category
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

For me, having computers at the gaming table are real atmosphere killers. Best of all to use the imagination and perhaps some printed maps as player aids or similar. Particularly with battlemats and combat, what I prefer is an urgency of narrative flow from the GM rather than a ponderous. 'You move ten feet to the west, hang on let me just move your counter.' type of situation....but that's just me!

Post Hey, I print maps...

Since my evening job is printing RPG maps (see sig below) - of course I use printed battlemaps and one of our players has tons of figs, so battlemaps and miniatures all the way. As discussed on RP's poll - I don't use grids on them though, at least the maps I game with.

Since I print maps, it would be stupid not to have printed maps for gaming. I agree with Rav's statement - computer at the gaming table, no thanks!

I have seen a game using a projector screen, it was interesting and worked as a game, but I won't invest that much into a game - table, people, dice, map, figs and character sheets, and books for rules lawyering, that's all I need!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

At most, I'll sketch a layout of an area. I almost never use a proper battlemat, and I don't think I've ever used minis at a game that I GM'd. I'll certainly spend a lot of time on my overland maps, and I am learning some appreciation for interior mapping thanks to the challenges.

I am solidly a narrativist game master, favoring social interaction and cool cinematic action. Projecting a battlemat or VTT surface wouldn't really help me do my job. I could see using a computer for a variety of other tasks, but I really don't like losing eye contact with the players, and a computer screen would be sure to draw my eye away too much.

Heck, I don't even use a GM screen, usually.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Since I have been using VTTs more and more for my gaming sessions I selected that option. The reason is because the players are spread out over the country so there is little other option.
    I also selected "some drawing program" because MapTool allows you to create fast drawings while you are playing no different than using a battlemap, but a whole lot nicer.
    I also selected "Our game is about imagination" because in my face to face gaming of late and in the past we rarely use battlemats of any sort.

Regarding computers at the gaming table, I find them to be vastly superior in many ways and actually enhances the whole gaming experience for several reasons:

• If I need to look up a rule, I go to the search box in the PDF type it in and it finds it. Ten times faster than flipping through a book, and gives me the ability to check several books quickly if need be.
    • If I need a quick NPC name, I go to the name generator and hit the button. Instant name and some background information.
    • If the players throw a curve ball at me and actually choose to fight their way through the NPCs in an area that I didn't expect that to happen I can quickly slap a decent looking map together in a couple minutes and don't have to actually print anything out or take up space on the table with a battlemat. (Sorry GP... )
    • I can have my entire adventure in a document format that allows me to make quick notes and jump to different areas without shuffling through a stack of papers.
    • If the players ask what a particular building looks like or the roads in a particular area, I simply jump to Google maps or Google Earth and pull it up.

So, basically instead of a stack of books, papers, binders, etc, and worrying whether someone is going to spill drinks on them, or continually picking up a pencil to jot notes and then later transcribe them to an electronic document I have it all in a nice small area of a laptop that can be closed if needed and the only thing in front of me are dice. That is why having a computer at the table is great.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

We use a computer to run a spreadsheet that keeps track of the encounters, (ie hits , rounds of stun etc.) Our battlemats are scratch paper with glorious 1 color scribble style maps and movement.

We don't have a lot of time to play, and no time to prepare, so anything that takes too long to set up doesn't work. Also it is just my wife and I so we can gloss over rules, aprroximate distances and generally narrate whatever we feel like, so the quick and loose paper style does well.
    Dean

\"Nonsense, your only saying that because no-one ever has!\"

I use a VTT with a projector. One of my players uses a laptop at the table and one other uses a palmtop. I think game flow is now quicker than it used to be when we did everything by hand. To deal with Ravs' concerns, we do get the occassional "I move one sqaure diagonally to the left, next to the small brown smudge on the map" rather then "I grip the pommel of my norched broadsword tighter and move towards the corner of the from from which we heard the noise, my stance is low, strung and cautious". I also try to make habit of describing any new encounter area before flashing the map up on the screen.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

I have a projector and use photoshop for running our combats at the table. On one layer I have the map and then overlay that with multiple layers blocking out the view of each room and then on top of that, I have a light source layer which is essentially a black square with a blurred "hole".

I'm prepping for tonight's session so fired up the projector, layed out some minis, and snapped off a couple pics for you guys to see my setup. Note the guy on the right (with the yellow ring under him) has the light source...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DNDSetup.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	3506  

Very slick! You should definitely check out the VTTs that are out there. It sounds like they would make your life a bit easier with all the layers and such you are using. You could even still use your miniatures.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.