Thread: Drumanland

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Default Drumanland

This is a map my niece made, and I am posting it on her behalf. It was something she had wanted to enter into the Cloud Map contest, but the deadline passed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drumanland.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	48094

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

How nice, its still visible how the clouds look like. I like that the Castle is not in the center of the map, making the eye looking around. How old is your niece?

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

She's 8. I had to help with some of the technical things with working the program, but the rest is all her.

The next generation of cartographers is comming!

As Schwarzkreuz, I like the way the original cloud is still partially visible in this map... it adds something very artistic and mysterious to the whole. The composition of regions and objects is also very good.

Tell her: good work... she is building her reputation here early!

How sweet, I was in the same age, doing my first bigger map on the package of the new furniture of my parents. The sheet of cardboard was so big in my memory, so big that it could holds the wonder of infinity worlds. Its cool you helping her in this creative output!

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    The sheet of cardboard was so big in my memory, so big that it could holds the wonder of infinity worlds.
    You know, I think you've nailed part of the "why we map" thing. "The wonder of infinite worlds" is a great turn of phrase.

Yes, its a phrase I realy try to fit into my passions of map making, its nice to see younger people trying things out. I also think this community is a great palce to devellop.

I like it. It's simple and a lot of stamp-work, but appropriate to a beginner. The composition is good, and I really love that it is very suggestive of possible stories: this would be a fine map to be handed and told to write a story or design an RPG campaign for it. About the only thing I would suggest as an improvement is labels for the bodies of water, if only to give the expanses of sea a little more interest.