Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May Entry: Fentor Cross Church

Blog Entries

Thanks guys I need the ideas. So a lighter floor, some books, cloak, sconces and whatever else I can find, a little more definition on the steps too.

The altar is covered with that blue cloth. I started drawing it and thought - screw this, and got a blue towel out, threw it over a board and took a photo of it. I am so lazy. So there is a mix of photos, art, pen and ink, textures, renders the whole kaboodle. This is probably the reason why my maps never look as good as can be. Maybe I should go for a balls out 3D job next month and forget the 2D entirely.

I like the window idea - actually it was the original reason I started to put the shadows in. The map was a pure 2D job but to get the shadows I made a 3D version from the 2D map and then cut some windows out. You can see the three on the top easily but there are two more lit areas bottom right. Well I think I need to enhance them as its not all that clear and put in some coloured glass too.

Still got a while yet...

I'll sort out some color in due course but heres the window places.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	3605  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-14-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Really nice shadows. I think they create more depth illusion. Looks cool.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

This would be a great church to throw down on an existing map. Perhaps after the challenge is over, you could upload a version where there is no ground, Redrobes? This way we can place the church in our towns and plop the roof over it until needed.

Blog Entries

Sure, its for my Fentor Cross Area which is the central region on the Thrubmorton Fens tile which is in turn part of a region called Ansium which is part of the Cooperative World Building project that were running.

But feel free (well within the liberal terms of the CC) to rip and use for any other map area. I can do one with no ground if you like.

Blog Entries

Done a bit more with windows, extra books, lighter tiles, a little more detail on the steps and some more shadows.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	30 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	3656  

That stained glass shadow effect is just sick. Great job!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm sorry, I can't help it. I have to ask whether you would see light patches from the windows on the grass outside? Obviously you do get them in the church as the light shines in through the windows. However for there to be light patches on the grass outside you would need a source of light inside the church shining out, and that doesn't seem to be the case. In anyway, the external and internal shadows should be different, unless the church has no roof. It looks very pretty, it was just bugging me. Right. Back to moving my own entry on rather than attacking other people's very pretty maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Obviously its the huge bonfire where they burn witches at the stake that is shedding light through the church windows and onto the grass... geesh...

Blog Entries

Torstan your quite right. Even if they had lights in the church then the shadows would not follow the sun shadow lines.

Should I just cut them out or mega blur them to attempt some kind of multiple light shadow thing. I reckon the real effect would be so small that I might as well just cut them out.

I should have done this map in full 3D I think.

Blog Entries

Blurred and lower intensity offside shadows...

Looking at it in JPG its lost a bit of the color there but I think thats more realistic.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	31 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	3660  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast