Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique (or faux antique) globe projection styles--what is this one called?

Question Antique (or faux antique) globe projection styles--what is this one called?

(First of all, I'm a new member, so I apologize in advance. Not for anything specific; just, you know, a generalized preemptive apology.)

I am driving myself nuts, because I'm trying to find an image of a type of antique global projection map that could swear I've seen dozens of times, and honestly thought was as common as muck, until I started trying to find images of it! Perhaps I imagined it, or perhaps it's not a 'real' type of projection, but rather something made up by talented fantasy novel illustrators, and therefore harder to find by way of Google image search. Whatever it is, it's the style I'd like to use for my own fake map of a fake world, but I'd desperately like to look at a few examples of the same style before I waste time trying to recreate a vague memory.

I'm not great with cartographic terminology, and most of what I know I've learned only in the last few hours, so see above re: multi-purpose apology.

However, I'll try to describe my vague memory. What I'm remembering is a type of interrupted projection, if I'm using the term correctly. If you can, imagine a cross between the orange peel / Goode homolosine type of projection, and the renaissance globular stereographic hemisphere maps. In other words, interrupted into segments, but segments with circular edges, kind of like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatsthis.gif 
Views:	348 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	48512
    but perhaps interrupted in a different way, and definitely better, more graceful, and done in a Ye Olde style. If that makes sense.

The more I look for an example, the more I think I must have imagined the whole thing! Can anyone point me to any example of this style of projection, from any source at all?

I don't recall ever seeing a map with that particular "M" configuration. It should be easy enough to do with a program that lets you define your own projection (just shift the bottom interruptions). I know it's doable with Fractal Terrains, but the projection definitions for FT aren't the easiest to define.

How the output from FT might look:

Name:	Untitled-1.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	48519 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	48520

And the projection block to add to Projection.txt:

Projection 92, "AE M Interrupted"
    Scale 1.0
    Description "Azimuthal Equidistant M interruption"

Segment "Azimuthal Equidistant", 0, -90, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    scale 1, 1
    Offset -0.5, 0.0
    Effective -180, 90, 0, 0
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

Segment "Azimuthal Equidistant", 0 90, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    scale 1, 1
    Offset 0.5, 0.0
    Effective 0, 90, 180, 0
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

Segment "Azimuthal Equidistant", 0, -180, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    scale 1, 1
    Offset -1.0, 0.0
    Effective -180, 0, -90, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

Segment "Azimuthal Equidistant", 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    scale 1, 1
    Offset 0.0, 0.0
    Effective -90, 0, 90, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

Segment "Azimuthal Equidistant", 0, +180, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    scale 1, 1
    Offset +1.0, 0.0
    Effective 90, 0, 180, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

EndProjection

And a bonus one for Azimuthal Equidistant hemispheres:

Projection 91, "AE Hemispheres"
    Scale 1.0
    Description "Azimuthal Equidistant Hemispheres"

scale 1, 1
    Offset -0.5, 0.0
    Effective -180, 90, 0, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

scale 1, 1
    Offset 0.5, 0.0
    Effective 0, 90, 180, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

EndProjection
    Last edited by waldronate; 09-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Oh, it doesn't have to have the "M" configuration--just the interrupted-but-with-circular-elements part! It could be configured like this:

Name:	orthis.gif 
Views:	146 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	48522 or this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	this.gif 
Views:	111 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	48523 or something else I can't think of, which is the whole reason I'm driving myself crazy trying to find an image of it!

I really was under the impression that it was common in 16th or 17th century maps... sigh.
    Last edited by ExStock; 09-26-2012 at 08:47 PM.

OK, then. The above bonus item ("Projection 91") should give you an image like the following if you add it to FT:

Name:	Untitled-2.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	48521

I think that someone has a template like that around here that's already done as SVG.

Thanks, and I may wind up going with that, but for now I'm still holding out for interrupted! Back to google.

Blog Entries

I really can't think of any pseudocylindrical projection which would give this property or any reason you would make a projection that would have it except to get this very specific property, which really serves no purpose. You would need something like Mollweide, but "more so"; going beyond being equivalent to actually causing areas to decrease the further you get from the equator. There's just no reason to do that.

I think you've confused different maps with each other or otherwise misremembered them, or you've seem pictures that weren't real maps and didn't make sense.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 09-26-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    I think you've confused different maps with each other or otherwise misremembered them, or you've seem pictures that weren't real maps and didn't make sense.
    That's kind of the point I'm trying to convey here! (Hence my frustrated "does this remind anyone of anything" request. ) I don't remember what the map looked like, but I'm certain it was not anything that we would consider a faithful rendering of the planet Earth, nor, strictly speaking, a projection, at least not in the sense of applying a mathematical formula. Think more along the lines of 16thC and earlier maps, or of fantasy maps! In other words, far less concerned with what we know today is accuracy, and far more concerned with showing important things, and/or overall visual effect.

It's perfectly possible that I'm conflating two or more styles in my mind, but having spent the past several hours looking at all sorts of truly odd early "projections," I'm starting to think I've got a better chance at finding something like I'm remembering than I really expected!

(PS--this is the voice of frustration, not the voice of ingratitude! I appreciate the responses.)

Apologies for the slight digression but a question for Joe (Waldronate). I've copied and pasted the new interrupted projections (I'm especially excited about projection 91) into the Projection.txt file but they are not showing up in the FT projections menu at all (even after restarting FT and then restarting the computer). This is what I've pasted at the bottom:

Code:
    //---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Projection 91, "AE Hemispheres"
    Scale 1.0
    Description "Azimuthal Equidistant Hemispheres"

scale 1, 1
    Offset -0.5, 0.0
    Effective -180, 90, 0, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

scale 1, 1
    Offset 0.5, 0.0
    Effective 0, 90, 180, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

EndProjection 

Projection 92, "AE M Interrupted"
    Scale 1.0
    Description "Azimuthal Equidistant M interruption"

scale 1, 1
    Offset -0.5, 0.0
    Effective -180, 90, 0, 0
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

scale 1, 1
    Offset 0.5, 0.0
    Effective 0, 90, 180, 0
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

Segment "Azimuthal Equidistant", 0, -180, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    scale 1, 1
    Offset -1.0, 0.0
    Effective -180, 0, -90, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

Segment "Azimuthal Equidistant", 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    scale 1, 1
    Offset 0.0, 0.0
    Effective -90, 0, 90, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

Segment "Azimuthal Equidistant", 0, +180, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
    scale 1, 1
    Offset +1.0, 0.0
    Effective 90, 0, 180, -90
    Rotate 0
    EndSegment

EndProjection

I'm using Windows 7 (not sure if that is relevant) and FT is saved as C:/FT (i.e. it is not in the Program Files(x86) directory. Can you recommend anything to solve the problem?

Many thanks!

Ravs

@Ex Stock - I'm sure I've seen something similar to what you've described too, but I can't remember exactly what the projection looked like. I'll have a dig around...surely we can't both be mad?

That's odd. They should appear unless there's some syntax error in the file above that, like a missing EndProjection element.

Projection.txt is my development file that has those in it. There may be some other odd things in there as well. Make a backup of your old Projection.txt file before using this one. It should just drop into your FT install directory. It won't work with the original FT, but FT Pro or FT3 should work.

Lol! I was updating the projection.txt file in FT Pro, which I still have installed on my system but I forgot that I'm now using FT3 which lives in the Programs(x86) directory. Done it now and it works like a charm! I didn't know about the projection srcipts - I'm looking forward to having a play with those!

Sorry for being a dumbo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast