Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foam Carthography

I think it's looking pretty nice so far Caenwyr, although the contrast between light and dark hues in your latest map seems pretty stark. you might want to fiddle around with the gradient maps some more to try and get a more gradual color change. Still, looks quite nice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hi all!

Thanks for your comments so far, I tried to keep them in mind as much as I could. Below you'll find the most recent iteration of my map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_Binwalyn-5.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	48481

I adapted the gradient glow like Chiashio suggested, though I'm not sure it's enough. I also added the city icons like I promised, though I'm not particularly happy about them just yet. I created the icon myself in Inkscape - you can find a fairly large version of it here. Also, I'd like to know what you guys think of the borders I added. They're simple red dots with a shadow for the moment, but I guess I could turn them into a solid line if that would be easier on the eye.

My biggest concern is a nice typeface for the place names... I guess I'll have to start messing around with fonts and such. Yaay!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 09-25-2012 at 05:29 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I live up in the mountains, down in a cave, way out west.
    Blog Entries

I'm so happy a support group like this exists for my carthocacoethes. I always thought I was nuts that I could stare up at a textured ceiling, or let my eye drift over carpet patterns and see worlds upon worlds. And for the record, if you stare at the pretty girl on the bus until she gets uncomfortable and asks "wtf are you looking at pervert!?" and you respond innocently with "I'm just trying the see the worlds within your sweater" she WILL smack you

Quote Originally Posted by Realmwright View Post
    I'm so happy a support group like this exists for my carthocacoethes. I always thought I was nuts that I could stare up at a textured ceiling, or let my eye drift over carpet patterns and see worlds upon worlds. And for the record, if you stare at the pretty girl on the bus until she gets uncomfortable and asks "wtf are you looking at pervert!?" and you respond innocently with "I'm just trying the see the worlds within your sweater" she WILL smack you
    And as far as I know, only a small fraction of the male world actually likes to be smacked. So I guess not staring is the way to go for you! (that, or sunglasses )

By the by, I'm working on a new update of my map, incorporating Arsheesh's comment. But that's for this weekend probably. All the best!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Wip

newest wip:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_Binwalyn-6.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	48769

Added quite a few (but still not all) placenames, and lightened the seas. I'm not sure of that last one, though. I also took care of the contrast between the mountains and the flatlands, and added some simple and easy forests.

So tell me: what do you think?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I like it, but what if you did a levels adjustment on the sea--or perhaps the whole thing--to raise the blackest areas (less dark) and thus bring the overall contrast down slightly. Your call... could be worth a try to see what it looks like.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Really nice job on the labeling BTW, this is looking really nice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great looking map and nice intro ... imho the labels are a bit on the large side, drawing to much attention, but great work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12