Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use Tablet to work with Photoshop?

Default Anyone use Tablet to work with Photoshop?

So thats the question. Who use a tablet to work with photoshop to do maps?
    Anyone? Its good or bad? Any help with the config of the tablet?
    I still dont have one but i was thinking about buying one.
    Thanks
    cya!

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro View Post
    So thats the question. Who use a tablet to work with photoshop to do maps?
    Anyone? Its good or bad? Any help with the config of the tablet?
    I still dont have one but i was thinking about buying one.
    Thanks
    cya!
    I have used a tablet for a while now, and I love it in PS.. Once you get past the learning curve it is a wonderful tool.. Its not to hard to configure the tablet, since the software it comes with is pretty good at making it easy to do.. Its a great purchase, but like I said there is a learning curve to working with it..

Lots and lots of us use a tablet. Whether it's for you depends on your style of working. My advice would be to buy a really cheap one first or borrow someone's and if you like it, then buy your own. Tablets are not for everyone but a lot of people use them all the time. I'm half and half - it really just depends on what I'm doing.

Yeah, as ravells basically said, it depends how much digital drawing or painting you plan to do and the style of map (or range of styles) that you want to create. I use mine a lot, in photoshop as well as other programs, and it's a huge advantage. There are some stores that have a floor model or two hooked up to a computer for customers to try out (you just have to look around), and they could walk you through the steps for setting it up.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks for the advice, i can borrow one from my mother buts its so slow, im not sure photoshop will work on it. I guess i have to try.
    THanks!

Anyone have a tutorial "Learning curve"?
    Last edited by Ramiro; 09-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

For a full overview it's well worth reading this sticky from the other board Mouse vs. Tablet as you'll get a bigger insight of all the pro's and con's with a tablet. Personally I use mine every day (I use it for my actual job as well as map drawing) and it's the best investment I've made in a long time. They're really easy to use and there's isn't really a learning curve at all, the learning really comes down to knowing how to use Photoshop and not on how to use the tablet... there's really not much to it. It's odd at first and you'll feel like your accuracy with it is pretty bad, but as with anything you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

And what about a Wacon or a tablet? Its different right? I dont know how a Wacon works. Its seems that you cant see where you start painting. Well i dont know probally im wrong but the tablet seems easier to work with.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Wacom is simply the manufacturer of a tablet and generally considered as the best on the market. They have a couple of versions from the smaller "Bamboo" tablets to larger Intuos range (that can be bought A5/A4/A3 size), all of which are tablets that you draw onto using the tablets pen.

When you draw on a graphics tablet the position of your pen on the tablet corresponds to the position of your mouse cursor on your monitor. So if you have previously drawn with a mouse, its absolutely no different, presumably you don't look at your mouse/desk while you are drawing

Wacom also do the "Cintiq" range which is essentially a monitor/screen that you draw directly onto, so you can see yourself drawing on the image, however these will set you back a couple of thousand.

Wacom is a tablet, they come in a variety of flavors tho from small to large and to the Cintique which is more or less a draw on monitor. Find a friend or colleague who will let you use one for a bit.

I apreciate the answer. Thanks. I was thinking that with a tablet for it i could use anywhere, but i see i still need a monitor, so i guess i will wait a bit more to buy one.
    Thanks!!

Yous guys recommend a wacom just for fun, just for mapmaking not for work or anything professional?
    Last edited by Ramiro; 09-13-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast