Thread: Village Corner - messing about in GIMP

Default Village Corner - messing about in GIMP

This is my first "map" here on the Guild, and I use "map" in quotes because it's not a terribly usable map, more the outcome of spending my day off noodling around in GIMP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	village-draft.png 
Views:	2739 
Size:	744.1 KB 
ID:	48162

This is largely a result of me discovering the fantastic GIMP layer masks tutorial. The buildings and textures are also from here - and now of course I can't find the various threads I've been plundering, but I'm sure the regulars here will know what I'm talking about!

I wouldn't mind doing some RGP battlemap scale stuff like this properly, but what I really want to get into is larger town/city mapping. Scale on this one is a bit vague; if the cobbled roads are only one lane wide, those three buildings on the lower left are more outhouses than living quarters!

C&C or suggestions, anyone? I'm pretty much calling this little experiment done and planning on moving on, but I might restart this map as a proper organized village/town centre. We shall see.

The textures are very nice but the lighting looks inconsistent. The roofs of the four houses to the left seem to be lighted from the top-left, the house on the top-right seems to be lighted from the bottom right and the house in the bottom-right looks like it is lighted from top-right and bottom left simultaneously.

Good point about the colours/lighting of the roofs. I did the roof colour before I added the building shadows, and didn't think much about lighting effects when I was colouring the roofs, obviously.

Given the building shadows, the light is coming from top-right, which would mean the three little buildings at bottom left are OK, but all the rest need tweaking.

Working on a larger-scale town/city map now, and thankfully bigger maps are a bit more forgiving of lighting effects - no shadows, for starters!