Thread: Town of Birka

Guild Novice

Map Town of Birka

All right. My very first map created using Photoshop. (whenever i've needed maps in the past, i've done very fast pencil sketches and called it a day - i'm looking for something more now)

I used a tutorial I found on this site - This one

I would love to get some kind of criticism, so don't hold back!
    - actually on that note.. i realise that my map has some weird horizontal lines... One of my textures has a white line at the top, and i didn't notice until i was done. 1st lesson learned: don't rush through maps and miss obvious things

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birka_wText.png 
Views:	3576 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	48135

Yes, I suspect the bevel/emboss is picking up on that while line on your texture.

Is this a modern, sci-fi, or sci-fantasy type city? Some of the districts suggest a more modern aspect to it rather than the traditional fantasy city (I was actually expecting that old viking port town when I clicked the link =P) yet it seems to have a wall and unpaved roads.

Anyway, I think your building footprints would benefit from being "cleaner" (straighter or more consistent edges) because the bevel/emboss effect is making them look a little blobby. Also I might suggest a more subtle texture on your crop fields.

Guild Novice

It was a bit of a tricky city for me to start with, since it's a mix of old and new.

It is the starting town (or home town, if you will) of the Player Characters of the new RPG campaign i just started. The inhabitants (Humans and aliens alike) have settled in the ruins of an old city, built by a long-gone civilization. So they're slowly restoring the old buildings (the pink ones), then moving further into the city, all the while learning from the leftover clues from the original inhabitants (about technology, build-techniques and so on). The pink blobs on the upper left of the city, are ruins from the original buildings.

The blue ring around the city is the original forcefield wall, that people have managed to get working again - basically by finding the on/off switch, and the pink circles further in, are original walls restored.

You're right in thinking of the old viking port town, since i stole the name directly from there. The planet this is happening on, is called Ragnar (after the old viking leader), so all place names will be viking themed.

Thanks for the advide with the building footprints and the crop fields =) I'll keep that in mind for my next map
    Last edited by Shadowheart; 09-11-2012 at 04:19 AM.