Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nimia

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Protopop View Post
    I actually need to find a better word than 'Kingdoms' for these divisions because they are not all monarchys.
    Naions? Countries? States?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is really great. Have some rep
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Applicant

WOW, nice map

Your map has its own website too? Now you're just showing off.

Frankly apart from the critique about shorelines... I can't think of a single thing to say about this other than that it's absolutely beautiful. Bravo.

Beautiful map.

Quote Originally Posted by hudster View Post
    This looks fantastic! The level of detail is excellent. Great work.
    Thank you Hudster and Lyandra - great names

When i was a teenager I made a world map after getting hooked on Ultima games and plasticized it. I tossed it out whenb I "grew up" - now i wish i'de kept it. But i guess making maps is something thats kind of in you and now i have the chance to make a new one for no other reason than to just make it

Quote Originally Posted by jbwncster View Post
    any basic tutorials on how to do this?
    yes, here's the basics from earlier in the thread - If you have any specific questions let me know here, but really its just grabbing your imagination and tools and experimenting I think.

The outline is created in Illustrator. Here i crated the coastlines, the country borders, and figured out the names of each place. Working with vectors here is nice because i can zoom in and out easily.

I gathered high resolution satellite images and used photoshop's "content aware fill" to remove any lines or abberations in the textures.

I used Bitmap2Material to create seamless high resolution textures for the different landscapes. You can also use the seamless texture filter in GIMP

I brought the illustartor outline into photoshop and used it as a mask for the textures, and brought the textures together in photoshop. I usually use Fireworks, but it was just crashing. Photoshop seemed to handle the multilayered 8192x8192 file better.

All the text is added outside the map in html. To create the actual panning and zooming map I used this incredible open source map javascript library called Leaflet http://leaflet.cloudmade.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Naions? Countries? States?
    I like countries more than Kingdoms so that's good. Countries can be ruled any number of ways right? Monarchy? Plutocracy? etc..

Naions must be a spellling mistake for nations, but i really like the word. NAIONS! I think Naions will be the name for Nations in NIJI, one of the languages spoken in my fantasy world and one Ive actually written some words for:

Niji - Neje
    Good - Bok
    Night - Soi
    Me - Nocho
    Are Ok/ - is-ke
    It - Tu
    Not - Ne
    Work- Mak
    You - Vi
    Know - Onat
    Thief - Olot
    Speak - Tar

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    That is really great. Have some rep
    Thanks! I appreciate the Rep and the compliment

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorus Prime View Post
    Your map has its own website too? Now you're just showing off.

Frankly apart from the critique about shorelines... I can't think of a single thing to say about this other than that it's absolutely beautiful. Bravo.
    Thanks! When I was younger i decided the web was it for me (im a web designer) because even though it was/is technologically limited compared to what you can produce with print or C++ etc i could reach the most people, thats also why i got into flash as a game design tool (now i use unity for much the same reason) - the great thing about having your own website is you can share you ideas with others, and you never know whose going to see and maybe appreciate your work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12