Thread: Hello, cartographers!

Post Hello, cartographers!

Hi everyone!

I'm here for the same reason as a lot of other people ... Have a fantasy world (or several) that I write in, blah blah, want to make maps. Yup! I've never really made any maps before, but after following Tear's tutorial, I'm super excited to have another go at it and incorporate more and more! I didn't realize how inspirational it would be to put my settings down relative to one another.

This is my first attempt at a map (yucks!):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calcaria-Old.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	616.5 KB 
ID:	48205

And my second attempt (phew, it improved a bit):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calcaria-1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	393.9 KB 
ID:	48204

I look forward to learning a lot more about mapmaking (and climatology ... which apparently I'm not so good at right now )! So expect to see me lurking ...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Be welcome! Yuor maps look really good =). Keep with the work.

Thank you! I am experimenting with different stylized effects now ... This is a really neat art form I didn't know existed!

I love the balance of your composition - the landmasses look solid and make sense. I find the typograohy easier to read on the first map, i guess because the second one is busier with more detail - maybe combine the two? Those forests are really inviting, and i like how the cities arent just dots but actual shaped masses, like they occupy a specific portion of the land. Very inspiring. Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Protopop View Post
    I love the balance of your composition - the landmasses look solid and make sense. I find the typograohy easier to read on the first map, i guess because the second one is busier with more detail - maybe combine the two? Those forests are really inviting, and i like how the cities arent just dots but actual shaped masses, like they occupy a specific portion of the land. Very inspiring. Welcome!
    Thanks for the suggestions! These are kind of just concepts right now, I am trying to find my style, hehe. I wasn't really focusing on typography or anything, just fleshing bits out. But I really appreciate the feedback!

Welcome to the Guild Hudster. I've left you a comment over at your WIP page, but again, really nice work. I hope you decide to finish the Tear map as well, as it was really shaping up nicely.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh