Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello

Guild Applicant

Post hello

Hello all, I'd just like to introduce myself.

I've been making constructed worlds for years and the maps to go along with it. I've posted a few samples of what I've done below, these were made entirely with photoshop on the mac.

I found this site yesterday and was thrilled, there isn't really any other good places I've found online for advice and tips on mapmaking, so this place really is an amateur cartographer's dream.

Here's some of my work:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Greetings and Welcome to the Guild, Outstanding work and I look forward to seeing more of those great looking maps

Welcome! Not too many MAC users here (I think), so welcome!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hey gmtx725! Welcome to the guild. I really love your work. I'm sure that you're going to find all you need here. We have plenty of people who know much and some great characters. Oh, and post often.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Great work! I really enjoy your style. So glad you found the Guild & joined up.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hello gmtx725!

I like the first map, especially, but was thrown by the "land is lighter" convention you used. Once I realized that the whole thing made sense. (Kind of like looking at those vase/two face pictures. My brain kept bouncing between the two...)

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hello gmtx725!

I like the first map, especially, but was thrown by the "land is lighter" convention you used. Once I realized that the whole thing made sense. (Kind of like looking at those vase/two face pictures. My brain kept bouncing between the two...)

-Rob A>
    Heh... ditto. I like the maps also, but like Rob, my first thought was... "hmmm.. why did he put mountains in his ocean?" And then it hit me that you have the colors opposite of what my expectations were.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild gmtx725! For those that mentioned the reversing effect of the colors, there is an interestingly easy solution to that. If you flip the map so the land is at the top, the colors suddenly work. It has to do with a subconscious analogy that the brain makes. The land is "above" the water.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Applicant

Hello again everyone, thanks for welcoming me, and for the positive response to my maps! I get the light/dark issue with the land and sea, I did the first and the fourth maps differently to see which one looked better, but yeah, it does throw you off a bit if you don't know which way round it is.

I'm surprised there's not that many mac users here- I find it great for mapping. Mind you, photoshop is almost identical to the windows version, so I'm sure there will be plenty of people with experience on that. I've tried using GIMP as well on Linux (I have a windows-free household!), but found it hard to get used to once having learnt all the skills in photoshop- It really is a great program once you get to know all the little perks and features. In particular the navigation on it is great- I draw with a mouse, which isn't great, so you really need a good zoom feature that lets you draw close up but still maintaining your overall orientation within the map.

Once again, thanks for the great welcome, I'm really happy I've found this board, it'll be great to learn and share new techniques

cheers
    gmtx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast