Thread: Calcaria

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Calcaria

So! I am really digging trying out different styles, so I figured I would put them in here (they are all of the same region) to get some feedback and critique!

Calcaria is my fantasy kingdom. I didn't realize until later that this was actually a Roman town, named for its limestone quarries. Oops. Interestingly enough, my fantasy world also contains large, sharp-cliffed mountains and quarries. I suppose they could be limestone; it is more likely they are sedimentary uplift than anything, I suppose.

Anyway, I have been writing stories in this world for quite some time would create basic shape maps (with squiggles for forests, triangles for mountains) to get myself oriented. It was not until I discovered this site and the tutorials that I decided to attempt full-blown maps. So, I wanted to make a thread where I showcased my progress as I learn different techniques -- all on the same region, for a consistent point of reference.

Enjoy! I will try to update this as I produce more maps and finish my WIPs.

Attached are my first attempt, second and third attempt using Tear's tutorial method (and making some of my own tweaks along the way). Gotta fix that orogeny! Also is my "stylized" attempt, where I doodle in all the major landmarks of the story I am currently working on. Initially I was using Ramah's hand-drawn mountain sets, but as I went on I started just drawing in my own elements, so it is kind of a mix of both. This is a work in progress. I need to figure out how to select my general land mass shape and turn it into a vector so that all the resizing I do doesn't start pixelating the edges (as is happening here).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calcaria-Old.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	616.5 KB 
ID:	48215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calcaria-1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	393.9 KB 
ID:	48216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calcaria-3.jpg 
Views:	1227 
Size:	370.3 KB 
ID:	48214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calcaria-4.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	706.0 KB 
ID:	48217