Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Midgard Atlas for iPad

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Oh yes. And don't get me started on the product they have planned for the western ocean...

I must say the map looks very high rez. Do you mind telling us what the final resolution is?

Today I tried to reverse-engineer it. I measured that it is a full screen (almost) from the Eastern edge to Fenris' lair. The "European" part is about 8 times that and the "African" part is about 10 times that. So the landmass without the ocean should be 30,000 px width.

Or it might be the case the my iPad (3) is somehow extrapolating the image so it fills the whole screen. Anyway, it is impressive!
    Blog: Too much game lore? | Diablo 3 guest passes
    Riftforge: (WIP) Map of Rift Isle, protected by elite raiders ( Play now }

The iPad's actually zooming to a higher than 1:1 resolution. That made me a little nervous, but it seems to handle it well without any particularly nasty pixellation. The base map is 36"x24" at 300dpi.

So it is about 12,000 pixels wide... so it probably looks similar in terms of dimensions on an old iPad. It is just crisper on the new retina one.

Btw, when you pinch you can zoom even beyond 100% (releasing it, zooms it back to 100%) and you can see the "brush strokes" but there's no JPEG compression artifacts from what I can tell.

I started examining your mountain technique and I must say the peninsulas look very realistic with their mountain chains. Aspiring mapmakers can learn quite a bit from this map.

Thanks. One of the challenges was in the Dragon empires where there's a huge area covered by mountains - which makes it hard to define ridge lines and avoid basins that would just fill up with lakes. It took some figuring out, but I'm pleased with the result.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Is this available for iPhone too? I don't have an iPad.

Sadly iPad only at the moment. It would be a little small on the iPhone I think, but it might make it across.

I'll check the Dragon Empires right now.

In the current issue of the Kobold Courier, they reveal who Torstan is... just scroll down past all the positive comments about the atlas. Mine is first, hohoho

------
    The first Midgard app for the iPad shows off the Midgard setting with beautiful, zoomable, animated maps. The reviewers say it better than we could!

Bulgaria: Exquisitely drawn ★★★★★ The Midgard Atlas is an excellent app to accompany any dungeon master who sends his players on adventures in the north. Amazing detail when it comes to the landscape and there are nine city maps as a bonus. Recommended!

Australia, Fantastic resource for Midgard! ★★★★★
    This is a great app - the maps look gorgeous and it's great being able to zoom in on cities. I hope that eventually more detail maps could be added to non-city regions (such as the Old Margreve) and that other publisher take note and put out similar apps for their settings!

USA, RPG Publishers take note! ★★★★★
    This is spectacular. This is how it should be done these days ...

How Fantasy World Atlases Were Meant to Be! ★★★★★
    Congratulations Kobold Press on a simple and elegant solution to the fantasy world atlas! This blows away everything that came before - paper maps, posters and PDFs. .... another stunning example of Jonathan Roberts's cartography and several years of Kobold Press building out the world of Midgard. This app is a perfect compliment to the campaign setting and well worth the $3.99. A simply brilliant way to immerse yourself in Midgard!

Cjejckdk says Midgard Atlas Stuns! ★★★★★
    Kobold Press' Midgard Campaign Setting is the best thing to happen to the Pathfinder / Dungeons & Dragons game in years, and this App brings us the world of Midgard in all its wonder and glory! Few cartographers can hope to rival Jon Robert's maps, and this overland map is his best. The numerous city maps are also stunning! ... If you love the world of roleplaying, this is the App for you!

The Atlas is drawn by George R.R. Martin's cartographer for Lands of Ice and Fire, the esteemed Jonathan Roberts.

My dark secret is out at last

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast