Thread: WIP: The spider cave.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default WIP: The spider cave.

Hello, I have been doing a few battlemaps for my gaming group these past few weeks. I have posted a few of them on these forums, but never in this section (basically, I posted the dungeons in the dungeons section and so on...)

But, I guess, it makes a lot of sense of posting them here instead...

So, here is the latest one I did. The players are will track a series of disparition in a small village to a sorcerous giant spider.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spider Cave.jpg 
Views:	1965 
Size:	783.6 KB 
ID:	48290

It is quite small, and the cave's shape is a bit weird, that is because I intend on printing it and sticking it as an A3 format and because the map is only supposed to hold two encounters. I did not want to stretch it too much just so that the rooms are further appart or in a more natural looking line...
    There is a tiny spot of light in the last room, as my spider may attempt to escape at the last minute... I will see how murderous a mood the players are in... I probably also need to find some pictures of corpses bundled in spider silk to put in this room, I will look over the Dundjinni forums...

I am not very satisfied with the map, to be honest, for some reason, I don't find particularly compelling or pretty... but it is growing on me slowly and I no longer hate it as intenselly...
    Anyway, any comment or suggestion to improve it will be most appreciated!

And, I mention the Dundjinni forums because just about all the furniture I use to dress my battlemaps come from these august grounds. Here, the map is a bit sparce on furniture, but the stalagmites (that I dulled down a fair bit) and the spider webs come from there...

Here is the "final" version of the map, I added cocconed bodies for the players to find:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spider Cave.png 
Views:	367 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	48360

I think that this is really good Simon. I love the rock texture, your outdoors bit looks great and overall the colours are wonderful. I have some ideas that you are free to ignore:

- the boundary between cave floor and grass is not great. You might consider reworking this completely. For example you could keep a very thin arch of bedrock (narrowest in the middle creating the illusion of an arch) over the cave mouth and extending the grass along the interior edges of the cavern tunnel a little (this can be done easily with a layer mask).
    - look at the light/shadows bouncing off your stalagmites and compare them with the actual light in the cavern - they don't match. You can fix this either by rotating each one to fit, or else (better) adding an overlay layers with a layer mask that only includes the stalagmites, then painting black and white on it with a large fuzzy brush to match where the shadows should go, then duplicating the overlay layer.

Thanks for the advices, I will definitivelly give these a try...