Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elven Ruins dungeon tile set **work in progress**

Default Elven Ruins dungeon tile set **work in progress**

I've been marveling at the amazing maps you all make, and now it's time for me to take the map-making plunge.

My first project is a dungeon tile set for elven ruins (for D&Ders out there think Myth Drannor or Cendriane) that I'm going to be tackling in GIMP. Any pointers, suggestions for map elements, ideas for cool ways to make use of dungeon tiles, or other input is welcome!

Right now I'm doing prep work, mostly sketching out the layout of the tiles and gathering inspiration, but I have put together some basic ground elements in GIMP. Here's the little I've got so far (hey, gotta start somewhere).

~Quickleaf

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the set.
    Thanks Bogie Nice battlemap gallery you have there, I especially like the winter forest road, lots of detail in that one!

I'm almost done with my concept sketches of the tiles...just a few more to do and then I'm going to GIMP.
    Last edited by aaronil; 02-13-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: prettified concept sketches below

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

It looks amazing!
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaithion View Post
    It looks amazing!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence

I really want to break the outside/inside division down (hence all the roots busting thru walls) and to create a three-dimensionality to the tiles.

EDIT: I finished my concept sketches, check 'em out...

Last edited by aaronil; 02-13-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Here's my first go at some basic empty tiles of a moss-covered stone floor. Nothing fancy, but I'd love any feedback. Especially as I'm selecting brushes to work with in GIMP, if anyone has suggestions for a "tree root" brush I'd be grateful.

Right now the closest I've found is a couple of other brushes combined with "Dirty Roots" (by Hypnotiza)...I'm looking at Brusheezy, Obsidian Dawn, and Deviant Art for suitable brushes.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

do like those sketches

Sorry that I can't help with the brushes....have you thought of making your own? not that I would know how to do that either...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    do like those sketches

Sorry that I can't help with the brushes....have you thought of making your own? not that I would know how to do that either...
    Thanks Korash Yeah, I'm learning GIMP as I go so making my own brushes are probably out of my league...then again you never know...

An aesthetics question for anyone: Does the moss appear a bit too "floaty" or is it just me?

What a great project! I love the idea of an "Elven Ruins" set and your sketches look terrific!

About the tiles...yeah, I also think the moss looks a bit like it's floating.

I dug through my collection and found some elements that you might want to check out.

Here's some vines:
    Jungle Vines by surfbored
    Vegetation - Single Vines by Kepli

Some really nice mossy rocks:
    277Mossy Rocks by Tigers-stock
    And a few more are included in this pack:
    373 Mossy Steps by Tigers-stock

Several different versions of a jungle altar:
    Jungle altar and grass transition by supercaptain

A stone circle that might work for your citadel. The full-rez download should be large enough to span 4 connecting tiles:
    Stone Circle by Steel Rat

Some spider webs:
    Spider Webs by surfbored

This is one of my floor tile sets. Not sure if you're set on the base tiles you've shown here, but I thought you might like to take a look. It's sort of a dirty/grungy, mossy cracked stone:
    RPG Floor Tiles 04

Some ferns, also one of my freebies:
    RPG Map Elements 08: Fern Set

And some runes:
    Tolkein Tengwanda Runes by dblade

Hope you find something you like! And I'm looking forward to seeing your next update.

--------------------

EDIT:

Been fiddling around with your tiles and moss overlay, and came up with this:

Name:  Elven Ruins Tile.png
Views: 4239
Size:  87.6 KB
    Last edited by Neyjour; 02-17-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Well done Neyjour!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast