Thread: Post your favorite Map of all time!

Guild Journeyer

Default Post your favorite Map of all time!

Here is my most favorite map of all time. It is done by Peter Fenlon of Merp/ICE fame. I can stare at this map for hours and almost always find something cool and new each time I do. If you are having writers block for an adventure for your gaming group, staring and studying at this map will be sure to cure it. The possible adventures that could be placed in this map are near limitless. A great map, inspires and holds one in awe. This Inspires! As cartographers we all aspire to achieve something like this. To me, this map is the pinnacle of Fantasy Cartography. All else pales in comparison. The Mountains are unique, the detail unbelievable, nothing feels like it is cookie cutter, (like so many computer generated maps). The meilu of course is second to none, Middle-earth. Like Tolkien's master work, this is an opus of a lifetime of Fantasy Cartography.

All bow before the master, Peter Fenlon, Lord of Fantasy Mapping. Behold! The Misty Mountains of Middle-earth!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthMistys300.jpg 
Views:	2975 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	48329
    Last edited by RobA; 09-21-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Hi Galendae and welcome to the Guild.

That's a very fine map you have posted! From the edit on the thread it looks like your master, Peter Fenlon, Lord of Fantasy Mapping has read your post!

Guild Journeyer

RobA,

Ummm, Sampsa is a fine artist and all, but he is not Peter Fenlon. Sampsa lives in Finland and Peter Fenlon lives in Charlottesville Virginia. And I highly doubt Sampsa own the rights to any Fenlon product. You been likely had Rob. Lindefirion/Sampsa is not the copyright holder or creator of the above map. You better get proof.

Guild Journeyer

From the Lindefirion site:
    DISCLAIMER: The works presented on this website or in the downloadable documents, are derivative work of copyrighted material by Iron Crown Enterprises, New Line Cinema and Tolkien Enterprises, Inc., and is released for free distribution and personal use by the author without permission or endorsement by the abovementioned holders of copyright. The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Middle-earth are trademarks of Tolkien Enterprises Inc.. Iron Crown Enterprises, I.C.E., ICE, and Rolemaster, and all products related thereto, are all trademark and copyright © properties of Aurigas Aldebaron LLC, Charlottesville, Virginia 22902 USA. Use of these or other trademarks is not intended as a challenge to the status of said trademarks. All other material, i.e. any original innovations made to the abovementioned material, is copyright © by Sampsa Ilmari Rydman (aka Taivaansusi). Clauses of fair use apply, so please give credit when due.

As you can see by his site disclaimer, he is not the copyright holder, or creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Galendae View Post
    RobA,

Ummm, Sampsa is a fine artist and all, but he is not Peter Fenlon. Sampsa lives in Finland and Peter Fenlon lives in Charlottesville Virginia. And I highly doubt Sampsa own the rights to any Fenlon product. You been likely had Rob. Lindefirion/Sampsa is not the copyright holder or creator of the above map. You better get proof.
    Galendqe-

Thanks for that and apologies to Peter Fenlon.

As a part of our Site due diligence I use a variety of image searches of any map uploaded that is not a work by the uploader. This is done primarily to determine what the image licensing is, and whether hosting the image here potentially violates any copyright.

In this case it lead me to a number of MERPS sites, and I incorrectly credited the map.

Can you please provide a link to the source and indicate the copyright holder (if not Peter Fenlon) to ensure it is appropriate to host an image here.

Thanks,

-RobA>