Thread: In search of a dedicated map maker for an MMO

Default In search of a dedicated map maker for an MMO

Gentlemen!,

First and foremost its so kewl to see this website! I think I stumbled upon it so many years ago... but its just really awesome to see people that have map making as a hobby! I remember back in my child DM days, with graph paper and a mechanical pencil... and I thought I was doing awesomely. I was turbo wrong.... You guys would have made my gaming group at that time look like we were playing some fisher price game.

But, I degress..

So guys, I am currently working on designing an MMO, fantasy themed sandbox game. I haven't assembled a team yet, because im still in design stages.. Which generally just means you work solo or with the design team... the team consists of me......

However I am currently looking for someone who wants to help me design the world, visually... The game will be a sandbox game, so designing the world so that it works well with a "sandbox" will be important and is something that I think deserves a dedicated "map dude" to do. Plus it will make the world building part so much easier. I am planning on using HeroEngine, when production is started, however I still have to finish the game design, and technical design.

So if your a cartographer, and want to work with a professional level and organized project where what you do has a drastic say in the games design. Then please pm me. The position is open to more then one person, however I would love to get at least one person. So dig deep down guys and help me out.

If your really good at what you do we might be able to talk about some $$$ for your efforts... but right now I am at the point where a map would really have to blow me away for that.

If your interested in hearing more about my project just pm me. I want people to read this post so I will avoid anymore walls of text and just to wrap up this post now...

Please... Help...

Cant... do it... alone...

Thanks!

Also, if you have any examples of maps you have done in the past, it will make it much easier to justify paying you to do mine!

Thanks again

Hi. I'm just curious, because it interests me and I know nothing about it (which will become blatantly obvious with my next sentence)... What does a map like this look like, and what design features make it work well with a "sandbox"? Are you looking for a 2D artistic map or something that can be immediately meshed into a 3D gaming program? Feel free to ignore me. =)
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Hi. I'm just curious, because it interests me and I know nothing about it (which will become blatantly obvious with my next sentence)... What does a map like this look like, and what design features make it work well with a "sandbox"? Are you looking for a 2D artistic map or something that can be immediately meshed into a 3D gaming program? Feel free to ignore me. =)

Hi!

Thanks for replying to my post, and before I answer your question, I would like to make a note. Ignorance (the act of ignoring people or knowledge) neither benefits my cause nor, yours to grow. So worry not about your question. Honestly these are questions I should have answered with my above post.

1.) What makes a map usable for a sandbox game is that just like our world, before evolution or god.. depending on your path. you have to design it with out "inhabitance" first.... then you have to define locations where people (npcs) would be. Sense say only 45% of the world will be static (governed by a single npc faction) the rest of the world would need to support the idea that at any place any where players might wish to set up "shop" for the resources that are in that location.

The biggest thing is the map designer and design needs to be mutable enough to take something like this step by steps. IE: Im not looking to pay you or make an agreement and then in a set amount of time get back a finished map, we will need to work together for every stage. Which assuming someone decides to take up the map project, I will outline for them as follows:

1.) Define continental land masses
    Challenges:
    a) At least one continent needs to be really large. This is where "established" civilization lives.
    b) Environment needs to vary greatly across the entire planet, just as our own does
    c) sooner or later players will be able to utilize water, including oceans so think about this
    d) NO CIVILIZATION AT ALL is defined during this period. Not even land mark names

2.) Add forests, mountains, and other environmental.
    Challenges:
    a) Its important to leave enough open area to define civilization after this.
    b) Also named land marks can be defined. Like "mount doom"... but not "silver city"
    c) It should be obvious at this point, where jungles are, where deserts are, and so on and so forth
    3.) Add NPC civilization

Over all note:
    This is to be defined as a "world map" so intensive detail is not important. After this if the mapmaker choices to continue with me. We will work on specifically mapping regions and areas!

2.) I should have posted links to maps that I liked, but I kind of assumed everyone did the same kind of maps (I was wrong upon further inspection of your community. My apologies) I am looking for something of your generic fantasy hand drawn type look. Like something out of a DnD book.. or at least that as a finished product. The need for it to go into any sort of 3d program is not necessary. Its primary job will simply to be a reference for world building, as well as a map to be used for the players reference in game. However I dont want to put a specific style requirement on the map, because I would really like to review multiple styles of peoples work!

Thanks for asking such great questions!

Another thing I would like to note:

If you have never worked with any game engines or are curious about game engines. I would love to show you hero engine. I can set you an account up right away and get you logged in to see what will be used to make the world you will basically have a large hand in designing! Heck if you want you could even put your world building skills to work if you liked

Either way don't be scared.. at the end of the day I just need some maps made... pretend I was doing a DnD campaign or something. No game dev knowledge is required on your part, and anything you need to know. I will tell you

Hey there!

I just stumbled across this post when I was looking at how to make an MMO on the interwebz, and I see this was posted a long time ago and was just wondering if you were still doing this. I don't have much knowledge on this stuff unfortunately, but this engine sounds pretty cool and I wanted to help out if I could, i'm not looking to make any money from this, just a bit of fun.

Thanks,
    Edible