Thread: has anyone used truespace or bryce7

Guild Applicant

Default has anyone used truespace or bryce7

I was wondering if anyone has used truespace or bryce7 before I seem to be unable to get it together.

While Caligari True Space looks cool - as far as the ads showing it's capability, I've never seen it in use, never seen any tutorials for it - heck I've never heard of it being used in any professional known product (game or other). Bryce is a fairly cool terrain mapping program, but I've only dabbled with it, though have seen more use of it by the industry. Anna Meyers, a member here uses Bryce for her Greyhawk Maps.

I've used Raydream Studio, a rather old, low-end 3D app, as well as Nendo, my favorite subdivisional surface modeler, and Cinema 4D - a higher end 3D app. Really you should be looking at an affordable version of Maya, or the industry standard 3D Studio Max - the latter seems to have more classes available, so is more of an industry standard.

3D tools like graphics tools are up to personal choice by the artist using it. It's difficult to judge which would work best for you. Download demos and experiment would be my best suggestion.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Hi Bloodbain and welcome to the guild!

I used to use Bryce a lot and still have Bryce 7 on my system. It takes a lot of getting used to in terms of learning how it works. Unless I'm using it to render heightmaps, I tend to do all my modelling in another program (Silo 3d) and render it in Bryce. Although the front end of Bryce is idiosyncratic it's still good value for money imo. It's speciality is rendering landscapes but Vue Infinite seems to have cornered that market although you need a powerful system (or lots of time) to run it.

What sort of stuff were you thinking of modelling and what is your budget? There is a lot out there ranging from free to obscenely expensive.

I've been using Bryce for over 12 years. I love its uncluttered, abstract interface, but I think you kind of have to be the kind of person who likes that kind of thing because it makes other people crazy. Vue has better features and a more sophisticated rendering engine but I hated its interface. Bryce specializes in landscapes but you can also model things using primitive shapes. It's remarkable what people have done. I suggest going to the DAZ3D site and checking out the Bryce forum and also the galleries where you can see some amazing work done in Bryce. Oh, I often use other 3D programs to construct things and then import them into Bryce. I like its lights better.
    I made this almost entirely in Bryce. The trees, boat, and statues were imported.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Great_Lighthouse_Of_Alexandria800x600.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	48451