Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Map: I never did find out the name for this one ...

Guild Member Facebook Connected Kolyana's Avatar

Default City Map: I never did find out the name for this one ...

Commission for Ben Langdon and his home-brew game. I think it is wonderful how it came out looking like a snarling face - I don't think that was the intention at all, but it adds a certain something. I was pleased with the layout and organic feel of the city and I think this would be a good candidate for coloring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB9-10.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	48358
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	580745_436659093015548_1513174761_n.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	48333  
    Last edited by Kolyana; 09-20-2012 at 10:20 PM.

My god that is stunning!

I'd love to know a little more about the process you followed and how long it took you. Is there any chance we could see a slightly higer res version? If not the whole map, maybe a small section of it?

Absolutely lovely work- congratulations.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Beautiful work, and I echo Ravells - that must have taken quite some time!

Thanks ravells & Torstan for the kind words. Yes, I thought this was a higher res version when attaching it, but apparently there isn't one on this computer - I'll upload later.

I tend to draw small and always hide lots of little details and stories in my city maps, so I'll make sure to post some section zoom-ins as well.

The process for this one was a little different than others, because when I am working FOR someone I have to go through a multi-stage review process at regular milestones, thus allowing them to review, give feedback etc. This always makes the process longer than if I was just drawing something for *me*.

I use 0.03 and 0.05mm ink pens and draft out the city shape and major district notes, buildings, hill outlines etc all in pencil. It's very, very rough and really serves as a wireframe. Roads I draw lines for, trying to make them feel organic and logically placed. I draw the buildings either sides of the roads, vs. drawing the road edges, as - personally - I find that road edges in ink can be too harsh and overwhelming.

Once I have my draft city shape, hills, coastline etc I literally start inking in ... I just draw little tiny buildings and cluster them, shape them in a way that fits the city, culture, feel I am shooting for and any district requirements (i.e. there should be more temples here). I tend to find that drawing the buildings and allowing them to create the alleyways and minor roads, even open courtyards, gives the net result something of a natural feel.

I can typically get a map done in about 8-12 hrs, depending on size and complexity (for instance I am working on a 24"x18" one right now and it's taking a lot longer than that!)

My aim is to start coloring these digitally to really make them pop.

I like the handdrawn nature and sheer diversity of your maps on your facebook page-city, dungeon, overland, encounter and so on. One map I hope you manage to finish and post here is the map for that Paris/Haven/Tharbad like city (the one on two banks of a river and an island in the middle) that you have been working on for the past few months. The scope and the sheer amount of effort that have gone into it are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    I like the handdrawn nature and sheer diversity of your maps on your facebook page-city, dungeon, overland, encounter and so on. One map I hope you manage to finish and post here is the map for that Paris/Haven/Tharbad like city (the one on two banks of a river and an island in the middle) that you have been working on for the past few months. The scope and the sheer amount of effort that have gone into it are amazing.
    HAHAHHA, yeah, that one is a MONSTER. I took it on unpaid, with the understanding that I'd fit it between commissions ... and then commissions duly rushed in to fill any free time, lol. Still, that map in all of it's 24"x18" goodness will be STELLAR when completed.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    We have a saying here that city mappers belong in lunatic asylums. Having looked at your maps, I think your level of madness approaches the divine!
    ahahah - honestly man, there are times when I am doing these things and a little voice in my head says "you are NUTS" and I start to worry for my sanity.

I think you and your fellow cartographers, with your many years of history in mapping, are 100% correct in your conclusions of city mappers =D

okaaay - hires version uploaded in the first post!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB9-10.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	48358  

First of all this map is absolutely stunning. And as Ravells say you have to be a bit nuts to do a large city map (ask me I've tried). Looking at you maps really inspires me. They are absolutely lovely. Unfortunately I can't rep you again but if I could I surely would. In my opinion this one should be a cartographers choice map, it's that good.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast