Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artrage experimentation

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Artrage experimentation

I've been doodling around with art rage to see what I can come up with. So far - this is the result of a quick tinker:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 11.33.49 AM.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	48421
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 1.30.15 PM.png 
Views:	296 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	48422

The watercolours work really well as a tint layer. There any white is read as transparent (it seems very close to multiply). Merging each layer down when it's done effectively 'dries' the watercolour layer and keeps the resource use in check. It's a lovely program and the watercolour paint dynamics are very very good.

Artrage? Do tell more ... what kind of program is it? Basically a watercolour simulator, or a general paint simulator akin to Painter?

It's a full blown paint simulator. As far as I can tell it really has everything in there somewhere - from oils and palette knives to textured canvas and stencils.

Hmmm ... looks convincing. Am downloading the demo now, to have a look-see.

You can get Artrage free with the new Bamboo (I picked one up as it's more portable than my intuos 4) but I've not tried it much yet. It has an interesting interface and it seems pretty nice, though I suspect I'll probably stick with Sai.

It has some fun features as well. I particularly liked the stencils (they work literally like real stencils, you place them on the canvas as though they were really there and paint over them). I thought it was a cute feature, and it seems making new ones just involves making a png file.

Those results look really good (although I suspect that if I gave you a broken pencil stub, you'd still be able to create something beautiful!). How does it compare against painter and twisted brush (if you've used either?)

I haven't played too much with either. I jumped into Artrage because John Hodgson does beautiful work in it and is a huge proponent of it. There's some lovely youtube videos of his stuff here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJonHodgson?feature=watch

Looks like a really interesting program. I've downloaded the demo and will try it out later in the week. But there are some features in the program that looks very interesting. Torstan, did you get the standard or the pro version?
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast