Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September/October 2012 Lite Challenge: Leblon Mall Outpost

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Default September/October 2012 Lite Challenge: Leblon Mall Outpost

Hey guys, decided to take part in this challenge too, trying a new style and new theme, a Post Apocalyptic one. I dont know If I´ll make it in time, but I´ll try. The story for this one, is not original at all, I based the secret in one of the quests of Mass Effect 1, but for the challenge and the style of map Im sticking with this story. I used the layout of the main mall in my neighborhood, The Leblon Mall, and it turned into an outpost, after a harsh nuclear winter. Although this place offer little protection, people tend to join the ever growing community of the Leblon Mall Outpost, a place that appears to be safe to any wanderers of this new era. In the middle of the mall stands a beautiful and amazing type of plant, The Green Queen (named after the Starbucks signpost that stands in the middle of its vines that probably got stuck after the plant started to grow). The Green Queen is an amazing species, that every week produces a delicious type of fruit that serves as food for the settlement. The secret behind Leblon Mall Outpost is that the Green Queen is actually a mutant plant created from the mutation of the nuclear bombs, named Mentis Continere ( Mind Control), a dangerours type of plant that controls the living thing around it with its fruits and pollen, forcing them to care and nurture itself, creating a real hive around it. CONTINUES...

Hope you guys like it, and sorry for any english mistakes!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leblonmall.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	48472

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Excelent concept. Do you have any idea how you will represent the secret on he map?

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    Excelent concept. Do you have any idea how you will represent the secret on he map?
    Well the Green Queen is a main piece in the Outpost, a exuberant plant that stands in the middle of the mall. The secret really is the effect it causes around it, controlling the mind of any living thing.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Braincontrolling shopping-mall decoration plant? funny

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Braincontrolling shopping-mall decoration plant? funny
    Too cliché?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbus View Post
    Too cliché?
    I would not call it cliché. It is not a new thing but I dont see it as a problem. My concern is that the secret, in this case the plant, show more evidently on the map. Maybe using text or symbols that represent humans controled by the tree. Things like that.

Cliché? Only within a certain body of gamers. It's a new cliché to me :-)

The secret doesn't have to be secret from us, or necessarily from your erstwhile mapper. If you are mapping in story terms as the omniscient narrator, you can lay out quite clearly things like effective radius of control, source of life-giving radionuclides, or what-have-you. If you're mapping first-person as someone in-story, you could be an outside researcher figuring out why people are drawn to the mall, or you could be a wholly-controlled cartographer showing the boundaries beyond which your growing tribe feels acute pain and overwhelming urges to come home....

The circle of bluegrass players was doing as such do, passing around the 'lead' with a nod or a raised chin. The newbie on the edge was hesitant, till one of the oldest asked him to start something. He hesitated, embarrassed at how little he knew - then said he could play Orange Blossom Special if somebody else would lead. A brash young technical expert harshly crowed "THAT old cliché?" Before the noob could totally wilt the old real bluegrass master spoke back up and said "If'n you caint play an oldie somehow new, ye ain't half tryin'." He then lifted his fiddle and leaned in on the whistle of that train, at no more than twenty miles an hour. The new player was able to fit his guitar in the space between the rails, and all was well.

I bet your mall will be different from any sentient-plant-ruled mall anywhere :-).

jbgibson thanks for the incentive! I was afraid that the story would turn out lame, but Im really enjoying as I build.

So in this new WIP, I changed the perspective, now the map being depicted by one of the survivors, Alexandre Fortes. He used the layout given by the N.R.B. (New Republic of Brazil), and started to make notes in the days he was kept as a prisoner. It seems that, people that were immune to the Mentis Continere, were captured and used as slaves to the outpost. Alexandre one day was able to escape, when a group of bandits started to attack the outpost, then he used the back tunnels (infested with bestillions, a mutant type of rat) to run from the place. In the map he labels all the rooms, offices and structures of the outpost, as well as telling some of his experience when he was a slave.

Hope you guys like this new style, the texts are in lorem ipsum, but I´ll write the correct texts later. And also forgive the poor drawing of the rooms, Im still seeing if it´ll work, with only the labels, or with the exact drawings.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	leblonmall3.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	48485

Congratulations. It is now looking really nice. Now I can really experience the secret danger on the mall. You will only do an english version (because of the chalenge)? Or the original is in portuguese and you are trnaslaing it? After all the map was done by a brazilian character =);

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    Congratulations. It is now looking really nice. Now I can really experience the secret danger on the mall. You will only do an english version (because of the chalenge)? Or the original is in portuguese and you are trnaslaing it? After all the map was done by a brazilian character =);
    Yes I pretend to do a portuguese version, but at the moment Im focusing on finishing it first I hope in time!

For now a quick update, started drawing more parts of the map...what you guys think, are the drawings too lame? Thanks.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	leblonmall4.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	48503

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast