Thread: Is Wilbur able to generate mountains on an existing map?

Default Is Wilbur able to generate mountains on an existing map?

Hi there,

I've got a question about Wilbur, which is a fantastic software but I can't for the life of me figure out if it can do what I want it to do.

I've got a 6000x3000 world map outline. I've a general idea of where the mountain ranges are going to be, and I'd really really like to automate the process for creating some mountains.

So far, I can't seem to be able to generate mountain areas on only specific parts of the map. I've tried loading up the selection of the land areas, but trying Filter > Mound, and Calc. Height Field don't really give the results I want. Sometimes they just return nothing.

So is there a way to generate some realistic looking mountains using Wilbur (or any other piece of software!) on areas that I define, in an existing map?

Thanks!

Check out the process described in http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...und-lands.html to see if it can offer some help (there's a PDF down a few responses in that thread that describes the process in some detail).

The basic idea is to make two masks, one for the coastline and one for the mountain areas (you can have multiple mountain masks for low, medium, and high mountains if you'd like a little more control aboutn mountain shape). Then run a few iterations of the incise flow and precipiton erosion filters to get what you want.

Also consider that the general process provided in there is good for producing the mountain ranges themselves, which can be added to an existing height map to add some mountains just where you want them.
    Last edited by waldronate; 12-01-2012 at 04:34 PM.