Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [ProArtist] What would you do?

Default [ProArtist] What would you do?

Hi guys, I guess you all had different kind of experiences with clients. I ran in a situation I've not yet been in, and was wondering what you would do... So a person contacted me to do some symbols, we agreed on price and set-up and signed a contract including planning ... Now I just saw him publish something that already contains the symbols he wants me to make, stating in the blog he had them made by some artist (not me obviously)... So it's a case where he did some serious cherry picking I guess... but he went a little further by even setting up and signing a contract. He didn't contact me yet, but I'm pretty sure he wants to cancel our agreement. I didn't put a cancellation clause in it (never had the need to) and I'm not willing to go into some legal battle... So what I would do is just contact him, and then let it rest if he wants to cancel, but still... I feel kind of 'screwed' ... so what would you do...? thanks! DJ

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Difficult.
    That's obviously a more than unprofessional behaviour. Technically you could sue him, but that's probably not worth the anger and you mentioned you don't want to do this.
    I would demand an explanation - he seems to have broken his contract obligations, so an explanation is the least he should offer.

As ultima ratio you can always post a link to the 'client' - I guess no one would do business with him after such a warning.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Had you done any work for him yet? Or were you waiting for the gig to start now that you had the contract?

If you haven't done any work then the only time you've spent so far is in preparing the contract. I would find out first for sure whether he wants to go ahead with the contract in light of the fact that you've seen the symbols already published (at the moment you are making an educated guess he is going to say no). If he says yes, I want you to go ahead then you might want to ask for payment up front if you have a bad feeling about the guy. If, which is more likely, he does not answer or says he's already found someone else to do the work I would write it off to experience.

Keep a note of his name though. One of the uses of the IP section could be to deal with repeat offenders - When you get a new piece of work, you put up a post saying that X has asked you to do a commission and does anyone have any feedback on him (feedback emailed direct rather than posted on the board so that the guild doesn't get involved in the keeping of any blacklists or publishing potentially defamatory material).

I've not done any work yet. We set up the contract but I was going to start on it only in 2 months ('some' other deadlines first but he was ok to wait he said. But i can see if someone else could do it earlier/faster or cheaper he wants to get back on that...

oops crosspost @Ravs: thanks, good point too. I know I first have to check with him what he wants (I'm only guessing now). I usually charge up front before I start so it's really no biggie. But I was wondering how others would go about... I'll update this with how it continues

Interesting, his reply is that he still wants my set too. He decided to have more symbols and already wanted some done now, even if the symbols have overlap... So I'm going to stop being paranoid and assume he's a good guy ... So lesson for now: First get my facts straight before thinking and assuming (why do I always fall for this ) ... thanks for the replies & advice cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm really glad to hear it worked out in the end!

Me too. It's horrible when clients take you for a ride. I've been ripped off by a client to the tune of £4k earlier this year (not on a map!), so I know the feeling!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Good to hear that the client is reliable.

Last year I had a client who waited nearly a year to pay a commission, and even then only when I threatened to publish the e-mail traffic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast