Thread: constructing a graticule thread in CC3 to show lat and long on a Mercator projection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default constructing a graticule thread in CC3 to show lat and long on a Mercator projection

Folks

Is it possible to construct a graticule grid, to display Latitude and Longitude for a mercator projection map in CC3? I need to produce some campaign and battle maps of the war at sea in WW1 and was hoping to use CC3.

Or do I need to produce the graticule to the correct scale seperately, and then overlay in Illustrator or Photoshop?

Depending on the number of maps you want to do and whether your source material already has the graticule on it it might just be easier to put them in afterwards than to try to automate the process. CC3 will draw lines for you and it will accept Fractal Terrains exports. Fractal Terrains can translate 'real world' data from the USGS into maps and supports Mercator projections and Graticules.

So the way I would do it is to import the real world .dem data into Fractal Terrains , zoom into the bit you want map (assuming there is some coastline - otherwise I'd just take a screenshot and work off that as a guide).....in fact you don't even need CC3 just export as an image and work in photoshop (unless you want to use CC3). Here is a screenie from FT as an example. Frankly I'd do two exports one with the grid lines and one without and draw my own grid lines using photoshop as the FT ones are a tad heavy for my taste.

The attached map is in Mercator with 1 degree lines of lat and long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot001.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	48495  

revells

Thanks, I have a copy of FT

Cheers

mel