Thread: Island, Hand-drawn: Nystul's Infinite Dungeon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected Kolyana's Avatar

Default Island, Hand-drawn: Nystul's Infinite Dungeon

An insanely fun commission for a great bunch of guys and gals. Nystul's Infinite Dungeon: The Island

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island_better res copy.jpg 
Views:	1336 
Size:	612.0 KB 
ID:	48497

This one was described as "like a torso, floating in the water" and I just ran with it. The awesome thing is Mike Nystul is totally cool with creative freedom and I think it allowed for an awesome map.

Drawn at 17x13 with 0.05 and 0.03 ink pens.

For the book, the handout, and the final version of this map, keep an eye on the links below ...

Nystul's Infinite Dungeon
    Posted with his kind permission

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...finite-dungeon
    http://d3adventures.com/wordpress/?page_id=307

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This is a beauty. Do you take any inspiration from Mike Schley's cartography? Some of your linework is reminiscent of his - and I mean that in a very good way!

Guild Member Facebook Connected Kolyana's Avatar

LOL@jtougas - thankyou! *bows*

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    This is a beauty. Do you take any inspiration from Mike Schley's cartography? Some of your linework is reminiscent of his - and I mean that in a very good way!
    Thanks Torstan. I've been drawing these maps for a while now and only came across Mike's work about a month ago - and I instantly fell inlove with it. I do see the simularities, and I do study his maps nowadays, but the line-styles ... that's just crazy coincidence. It's possible of course, because he has been around the block a bit that I have been subconsciously influenced by his style without knowing that I was looking at one of his maps, but generally speaking I've been drawing like this since the mid-nineties.

I'm humbled that my name would even be mentioned in the same sentence. I will admit that since discovering him on G+ I instantly fell in love and voraciously looked at his entire portfolio: it was like someone was showing me what I should be striving for! The true growth for me now is in my border work, colors, textures and that true artistic flair Mike has ... honestly, I admire it so, so much. If I could capture 20% of his talent, I'd be happy!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Amazing. (I am going to run out of adjectives to describe your work... )
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.