Thread: First try

Default First try

Hi all,

As I just wrote in the introduction section, I have always had a desire to do maps for D&D games or just for fun but somehow never got into it before. On last Friday I looked a bit arround the forum and tutorials section and decided what the hell lets give it a try

So basically, I never had any experience with photoshop, GIMP etc... but thnx to the great tutorials, especially Gidde's Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged) I made my first map In a short amount of time and I am I have to say more or less happy with the result.

I follewd the tutorial mostly because of the layers and masks stuff (because as I said..I have never before used this kind of software), but have also looked at some other maps and artists and tutorials to try and find a style that I like the most.

So I would like to thank many of you here that gave me some sort of stimulation, weather through the looks of your maps and styles or through your tutorials (Gidde, Djekspek, RobA...).

This map is just a trial map and therefore doesnt have any namings or cities on it, and also some stuff is a bit randomly put on it because the point for me was to see that I can make a map, and now that I saw that I can, I will work on a map/s of my D&D world which will have all the things a proper map should have.

Once again a big thank you to all the members of the Cartographers Guild, this wouldn't have been done without your help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jednostavna_tutorial_finished.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	681.4 KB 
ID:	48500

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say that's a pretty good first try !! I love the colors. Repped
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

thanx

I spent a couple of hours on the colors, still not too happy about the hills and the trees, but swamps, tundra and plains turned out very good. And ofc that clump of trees and hills in the middle is an eyesore need to work a bit on large hill formations and how to make them look nice

What I have realised is that this sort of map also deserves some color of the water, so basically if I color the land as much as I did here I should also color the water and not make the map look old or on this type of background.
    On the other hand this type of background will work well if i decide to tone the colors a bit down and give it more of an ' ink on old parchment' feel Well now I know two types of maps I would like to do..both will be similar in drawing style, just one will go on to be a more colorful version then the other..and from there on I hope to get a better feel what style would I prefer.

Thnx again for the nice comment