Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Project

Guild Member Facebook Connected BISHDP's Avatar

Here is a quick attempt at trees on a regional view of the southeastern continent.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trees 1.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	48575

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not bad. I'd make sure that there are no trees covering your rivers as at this scale you wouldn't be able to see individual trees and it kind of "throws off" the eye. Keep up the great work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it - but it looks quite pixely (I am guessing an artifact of you zooming in on a region and that you are ignoring that intentionally).

Thanks for the comments, guys. I have been trying out the smaller tree patterns with some luck. I did, however, get tired of drawing trees, so as a break from it, I created a political map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Political.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	48799
    I kept the map confined to areas, kingdoms, & capitols. The font I am using degrades too much to do the smaller towns at this scale. Any tips for blowing up regions and not having the pixelated artifact effect?
    Last edited by BISHDP; 10-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh my Neverwinter font.... I have to be honest and say that although I have used that font in the past it is best left to Neverwinter... Having said that there is no real way to avoid the "pixely" effect when you take a smaller image and blow it up. The zooming stretches the pixels and they get blurry. The only way to avoid that is to begin with a very large image and take sections of it to make individual maps of. Keep up the good work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Ok, I guess my regional maps will have to be a little pixelated. I can work with that. I don't see the issue with the font, besides some of the capital letters being a bit hard to read. It was the best looking font I found that remained legible.

Blog Entries

As I always say: If you like it that is ALL that matters My point with that particular font is it is very recognizable. It makes one think immediately of Neverwinter and sometimes that can distract from the map. But like I said if you like it then that's all that matters.

Finished Maps

That's a really cool map. And it made me realized my continent needs some super huge mountains as well.

Thanks Yora. So can anyone tell me a good way to add Lat/Longs to my map or direct me to a good tutorial? I would like to get this world map finished before I start breaking it into regions.

Because of how coordinates on a sphere work, you always have 90° North and South and 180° East and West. The equator is predifined by the spheres rotational axis, but the 0° longitude is randomly picked. You can set one anywhere you like, for every reason you like.

To see what latitude the northern and southern edge of your map is on a sphere the size of Earth, take a map of the world and see where you would place it so the climate at both the northern and southern edge fits what you have in mind. Once you know the latitude of the upper and lower edge of the map, filling in the rest is easy. Since they are given in degrees, the surface distance between every degree is always the same, there is no stretching as you have with the longitudes as you get closer to the poles.
    As reference, I'd rather use North or South America or East Asia, as Europe actually lies much higher up north than the climate would indicate because of the Gulf current and some other circumstances that are unique to Europe.

Keep in mind that you can always make the planet larger or smaller or make the difference in climate between the poles and the equator weaker or stronger. You probably know what the effects of either are on the latitude lines, but if you want an elaboration of that I'd be happy to help.

Getting the longitudes right is the more difficult part. Because as said earlier, the distance between to longitude lines becomes smaller as you get to the poles and larger as you get to the equator. Quick and dirty solution would be to just have paralel lines from north to south. This means that the pole-side part of the map is actually stretched out a bit, but if the area is relatively small, like smaller than China or the US, the amount would ne begible and you could still estimate differences by just putting a ruler to the map. Near the one edge 10cm might be 98 miles and on the other edge 103 miles, but that wouldn't be a problem.
    If the map covers a very large area like half of the globe or even just a quarter, things get a lot more complicated. Because planets are spheres it is impossible to make a flat map at which the distance between two points on the map has always the same ratio as the distance on the sphere. As shown in this xkcd strip.
    But I think that's probably something to be adressed once you've decided what the northern and southern latitudes of your map are and where the equator is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast